"Xanten - via Romana" Xanten by beetlebummer
Xanten Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 157 photos
Driving further up the 'via Romana' translates the Roman way, you will come upon Xanten, an ancient historical town. Here you can see Roman's architectural remains at the archeological park, regional museum and the town baths.
In about 100AD, Xanten is known as Colonia Ulpia Traiana. That was during the time of the Roman Emperor Trajan. Traces of the town are now being found through excavation work. Although the site is original, the buildings seen today are not all original. They are reconstruction, resembling the original Roman architecture. As seen in this picture, it is part of the long stretched wall along the via Romana.
Here is the double gate of the Klever Tor. It has a bridge between the two gates. It also divides the noord and the west wall which also makes part of the old town walls. There is also a windmill built right into the noord side of the wall. This stretch of wall however is not located in the archeological park itself. You'll have to venture around the town. You can get a brochure at the entrance of the archeological park, which has a map, showing the historical way around.
- Pros:Guided tours are available.
- Cons:Some buildings in the archeological park are closed in winter, but ticket's price are reduced.
Well, if you are following the via Romana, the best way is of course to drive. This way, you can stop wherever along the... more travel advice
beetlebummer's Related Pages
Xanten Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekend in Xanten"
- "A City with more than 2000 Years history"
- "Xanten, Germany"
- "Siegfried Doesn't Live Here Anymore!"
- "Along the River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xanten
- Hotels in Xanten
- Transportation in Xanten
- Restaurants in Xanten
- Shopping in Xanten
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Xanten
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Xanten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xanten
Photos in XantenSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore 8 reviews, 23 photos
- Brugge Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harderwijk Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dunkerque Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Batu Pahat Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muiden Intro, 1 review, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 1 review, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Xanten hotel reviews
- Hotel Van Bebber
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 23, 2013