"White Town of St. Urs" Top 5 Page for this destination Solothurn by hartti
Solothurn Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 103 photos
Solothurn's history dates back to Roman times. As early as 350 BC the Romans built their "Castrum Salodurum", a bell-shaped walled fort. The remains can still be seen at Friedhofplatz and in Löwengasse. Most of the houses and buildings are made from white stone, pale Solothurn marble which is mined from the neighbouring mountains.
In every Swiss town are 2 musts (I think): the clock tower and fountain. The clock tower, the city oldest structure was built in the first half of the Twelfth Century. Below it are the two city patrons from 1583, Urs and Viktor.
Ask a Solothurner about the "holy Solothurn number 11". You'll be told that in 1481 Solothurn became the eleventh canton to join the Swiss Confederation. Or that this splendid baroque city contains eleven churches and chapels, eleven historic fountains and eleven towers.
It is no wonder that even the cathederal of Saint Urs has eleven altars and eleven bells, and that its imposing staircase leading down from the main door is made up of flights of eleven steps.
The city oldest structure was built in the first half of the Twelfth Century. Construction of the clock storey in 1467... more travel advice
When walking in the center you may stop for a while and sit on the chair of some little cafe for a beer or two. When... more travel advice
hartti's Related Pages
Solothurn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Solothurn - a jewel amongst Swiss towns"
- "Baroque beauty"
- "White Town of St. Urs"
- "THE CITY ON THE AARE RIVER"
- "bratsch's new Solothurn Page"
- "A City filled with History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Solothurn
- Hotels in Solothurn
- Nightlife in Solothurn
- Restaurants in Solothurn
- Shopping in Solothurn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Solothurn
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Solothurn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solothurn
Photos in SolothurnSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Lima Intro, 26 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Departamento de Lima Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turku Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos
- Cusco Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pueblo Libre Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otuzco Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vitoria Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Huancayo Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
No friends yet.