"Kärla - Capital of Hiiumaa" Kardla by hartti
Kardla Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 4 photos
Town Kärla, in Swedish Kerdal, is the capital of Hiiumaa (Dagö), the famous Estonian island of pirates. In Finnish Hiiumaa means "Land of Devil". Once here was a large center of Swedish people, but 1781 Russian Czaritza Catherine II had a great idea to move whole the village with Swedish inhabitants to Ukraina. I suppose there was much more room for these people.
Here was a big harbour, but it was destryed by German groups during the war, and is has not rebuild. Nearest harbor for small boats is in Lehtma. The coast is difficult to sail, and that's why very favourable for pirates.
hartti's Related Pages
Kardla Travel Guide
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kardla
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Kardla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kardla
Top 10 Pages
- Lima Intro, 26 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Departamento de Lima Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turku Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos
- Cusco Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pueblo Libre Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otuzco Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vitoria Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Huancayo Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
No friends yet.