"Hometown of "el Cid"" Burgos by hartti
Burgos Travel Guide: 164 reviews and 667 photos
In Burgos there are living inhabitants about the same amount as in Turku. In the compass on the hill is written direction of Helsinki, but not Turku, pity! Similarity with Turku is also that the river flows throuh the town. The river, Arlanzon, is a side-river of Pisuegra, which flows to Duero river close to Valladolid. The old historical monuments are on the Northern side, and stations are on the modern Southern side of the river. To the historical center you may go through the old bridge and port, "Puento de Santa Maria" and "Arco de Santa Maria".
The most famous food of Burgos is certainly that fresh cheese with slight goat-milk-flavor, called "Queso de Burgos", which is extremely popular not only here but in most other regions of Spain. Stories about "Burgos Vino" I have not heard!
The 13th century gothic building is among the most admired of its kind worldwide. Specially remarkable are its portal, the "Puerta del Sarmental", considered the best example of gothic sculpture of its century and the Cloister.
Burgos has a perfectly conserved old center of town, and reminds to important personalities of Spanish medieval history come alive.
Here Franco was decladed as the leader of Falangist military force in Oct. 1936, too. Seems to be very conservative town. But it is good, because they are keeping much care about their historical monuments!
Travelling by bus from Madrid to Bilbao/Vitoria the driver stops for a while at Burgos bus station. There you have 20... more travel advice
hartti's Related Pages
Burgos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burgos is the birthplace of Spanish Glory!"
- "BURGOS BIRTHPLACE OF CASTILE."
- "Burgos: where Mío Cid still lives and fights"
- "CAPUT CASTELLAE"
- "Magnificent Cathedral, Historic Hero and Early Man"
- "Burgos Province where my family comes from"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burgos
- Hotels in Burgos
- Transportation in Burgos
- Nightlife in Burgos
- Restaurants in Burgos
- Warnings and Dangers in Burgos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burgos
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Burgos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burgos
Top 10 Pages
- Lima Intro, 26 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Departamento de Lima Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turku Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos
- Cusco Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pueblo Libre Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otuzco Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vitoria Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Huancayo Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
No friends yet.