"Mantaro Valley Town" Huancayo by hartti
Huancayo Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 41 photos
The name Huancayo means something like "Stony Rock that He Owns". The "Stony Rock" is surely the highest point of the town, Cerrito de la Libertad. Otherwise town lies on quite even place, in the valley of the river Mantaro.
Altitude is 3.250 m.a.s.l., and the climate quite nice for person like me, from the North. Only the thinness of the air makes problems.
In Huancayo they keep large markets every Sunday. There you may buy everything you can imagine. The local dresses are very colorful, and all kind of textiles you may find there. The hand made textiles are 10 times more expensive than industrially manufactured ones. (See "Sunday Exhibition" in "What to Do" tip!)
Mito is a small town close to Huancayo. It is so small, that VT-pages do not have place for it. But once a year it's very important: 1st of May it´s full of people celebrating "La Acensión" party.
Olimpico is an old and traditional restaurant in the center. It offers everything but patchamanca which is served far... more travel advice
hartti's Related Pages
Huancayo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The start of our Andean adventures"
- "HUANCAYO PERU"
- "Mantaro Valley Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Huancayo
- Hotels in Huancayo
- Restaurants in Huancayo
- Shopping in Huancayo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Huancayo
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Huancayo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huancayo
Photos in HuancayoSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Lima Intro, 26 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Departamento de Lima Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turku Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos
- Cusco Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pueblo Libre Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otuzco Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vitoria Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Huancayo Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
No friends yet.