"Freetown Tacna" Tacna by hartti
Tacna Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 28 photos
Tacna is a mostly commercial city with many immigrants from the Puno Region living there. Its economy is based on mercantile activities with the north of Chile (Arica and Iquique). Since it is part of a duty free zone, Tacna has come to rival Arequipa as southern Peru's main business area. The city has one of the largest artifact markets in the world with imports from Japan and China, and traditional Peruvian handicrafts.
Francisco Antonio De Zela, a royal accountant (similar in function to a modern-day income tax auditor), initiated the push for Peruvian Independence from Spain in 1811 in Tacna, leading to a series of commemorative actions for the city, culminating in the 1828 declaration of Tacna as the "Heroic City" (La Heroica Ciudad de San Pedro de Tacna).
Francisco Bolognesi Cervantes was a Peruvian military hero, highly respected in Tacna. Even the football team of the town carries his name.
Bolognesi commanded the Peruvian forces surrounded in Arica. On June 7, 1880, a Chilean assault took Arica at a cost of 474 troops. Almost 1,000 of the Peruvian defenders, including Colonel Bolognesi, were killed in defense of the town or in subsequent actions against the Peruvian prisoners.
hartti's Related Pages
Tacna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tacna - Not a boring town!"
- "Tacna - across the border"
- "City in the desert"
- "Chile neighbour City"
- "Freetown Tacna"
- "FotoPeru: Estampas de Tacna"
- "Tacna, in the edge of the history"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tacna
- Hotels in Tacna
- Transportation in Tacna
- Restaurants in Tacna
- Shopping in Tacna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tacna
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Tacna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tacna
Top 10 Pages
- Lima Intro, 26 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Departamento de Lima Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turku Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos
- Cusco Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pueblo Libre Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otuzco Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vitoria Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Huancayo Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
No friends yet.