"Mondsee: Quiet Austria next to Lake and Mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Mondsee by mydreamquest

Mondsee Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 76 photos

Mondsee: A Quiet Summer Retreat

Mondsee means "Moon Lake" in german. This city is named after the peaceful lake that is next to it. Mondsee is surrounded byDrachenwand and the Schafberg mountains and is a perfect place to visit if you want shelter away from the city.

Austria is analogous, in geographical shape, to a bow-tie, at the bowtie, to the north is Germany (Berchtesgaden) and South is Northern Italy (Tyriol). The east is Vienna, in the center is Salzburg and to the west Innsbruck and Feldkirch. Mondsee, is a small town located about 30 kilometers east of Salzburg. If you drive to Salzburg from Vienna, you will pass this lovely city.

I've been here on two occasions, the first time was on a drive to Salzburg from Vienna, and last August, I was on a "Sound of Music" bus tour where I spent an hour here.

There is cathedral where the von Trapps marriage scene in the Sound of Music takes place, The Cathedral of Mondsee.

Mixture of the Elements of Two Eras in Mondsee

From an architectural standpoint, the The Cathedral of Mondsee contains a fascinating historical mutation, so to speak. Because the cathedral, created during the Gothic style period, was partially damaged in a fire during the Baroque period, the exterior was remodeled according to Baroque Style architecture. However, the interior to this day has retained it's original Gothic style interior as shown in the altar here.

This altar was where the marriage scene from The Sound of Music was filmed.

The Peace of Mondsee

I cannot say that I am much of an expert of this city, but, I will say I enjoyed my brief visit here. It is very quiet and tranquil. My final memory of Mondsee was that of these three horses enjoying grass before a friendly mid-day Pastoral Sun watching over them.

• Pros:Great Recreational Gettaway, Stargazing at night, Calm
  • Cons:If you need nightlife, there is not so much of that here.
  • In a nutshell:A Peaceful Retreat from Urban Insanity.
  • Last visit to Mondsee: Aug 2005
  • Intro Written Nov 11, 2005

mydreamquest

“"I love being lost in a country where the chances of me returning are less than the chances of me being robbed."”

Badges & Stats in Mondsee

Have you been to Mondsee?