"Mondsee: Quiet Austria next to Lake and Mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Mondsee by mydreamquest
Mondsee Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 76 photos
Mondsee means "Moon Lake" in german. This city is named after the peaceful lake that is next to it. Mondsee is surrounded byDrachenwand and the Schafberg mountains and is a perfect place to visit if you want shelter away from the city.
Austria is analogous, in geographical shape, to a bow-tie, at the bowtie, to the north is Germany (Berchtesgaden) and South is Northern Italy (Tyriol). The east is Vienna, in the center is Salzburg and to the west Innsbruck and Feldkirch. Mondsee, is a small town located about 30 kilometers east of Salzburg. If you drive to Salzburg from Vienna, you will pass this lovely city.
I've been here on two occasions, the first time was on a drive to Salzburg from Vienna, and last August, I was on a "Sound of Music" bus tour where I spent an hour here.
There is cathedral where the von Trapps marriage scene in the Sound of Music takes place, The Cathedral of Mondsee.
From an architectural standpoint, the The Cathedral of Mondsee contains a fascinating historical mutation, so to speak. Because the cathedral, created during the Gothic style period, was partially damaged in a fire during the Baroque period, the exterior was remodeled according to Baroque Style architecture. However, the interior to this day has retained it's original Gothic style interior as shown in the altar here.
This altar was where the marriage scene from The Sound of Music was filmed.
I cannot say that I am much of an expert of this city, but, I will say I enjoyed my brief visit here. It is very quiet and tranquil. My final memory of Mondsee was that of these three horses enjoying grass before a friendly mid-day Pastoral Sun watching over them.
- Pros:Great Recreational Gettaway, Stargazing at night, Calm
- Cons:If you need nightlife, there is not so much of that here.
- In a nutshell:A Peaceful Retreat from Urban Insanity.
mydreamquest's Related Pages
Mondsee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mondsee: my first taste of Austrian lakes"
- "Mondesee - A beautiful lake"
- "Mondsee: Quiet Austria next to Lake and Mountains"
- "The hills are alive with the sound of Mondsee"
- "MONDSEE, AUSTRIA"
- "Mondsee - A Small Town and a Charming Lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mondsee
- Hotels in Mondsee
- Transportation in Mondsee
- Nightlife in Mondsee
- Restaurants in Mondsee
- Shopping in Mondsee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mondsee
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Mondsee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mondsee
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 75 reviews, 111 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 61 reviews, 63 photos
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos
- Vienna Intro, 36 reviews, 67 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Turku Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos
- Venice Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos