"The Cold City of Great Modern Rock Bands" Greater Manchester by mydreamquest
Greater Manchester Travel Guide: 2,197 reviews and 4,992 photos
Being a lover of the English Music scene, specifically, a huge fan of the many great Manchester Bands such as The Smiths, The Chameleons, Joy Division, and The Stone Roses, I traveled across the world to see how this region developed such great music. I also have many friends from Manchester and had a remarkable time. The winter was cold, but the good times in the poetically loud pubs of England was in itself inspirational.
To be honest, I took this picture but I cannot recall where it was but do remember it being Piccadilly Station.
I visited England to see one band, the Chameleons who were touring the country for the first time since 1986 or so. Online at a web site for fans of the Chameleons, I made many friends from over there.
While I lived in San Francisco, I didn't know many people who shared my love for this band. Thanks to the internet, I befriended many people and had a wonderful adventure that began in a December Vienna, a plane to Frankfurt, a train to Cologne and then Thaly's train transfer into Liege, Belgium, and finally, from Brussels into Manchester.
On the first day, which I unfortunately didn't take pictures, I took a long train ride to York, where I saw the band perform in Fibbers, York.
The pictures here were my return to Manchester, where I spent 3 days.
The air of an ephemeral Winter Mancunian day is crisp and refreshing. But it was also biting.
Manchester in December is one very cold city to explore.
Via Car, my English friends Cath and Bloke (I can't remember his real name) drove us into Middleton to go to the Middle Civic Center where the Chameleons would perform.
Middleton is a quiet suburb within Greater Manchester. This picture was taken in a sort of interesting roundabout. I took the picture because Rochdale is where The Chameleons grew up.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to visit Liverpool. One day, I hope to go there.
This roundabout reminded me of the one in Slough that is shown in the beginning of "The Office" that great English comedy TV show that was around for a couple of years.
- Pros:Great music, Amiable people, a mecca for lovers of Modern Rock
- Cons:Freezing in the Winter;
- In a nutshell:The City that gave birth to The Smiths, Joy Division, Doves, Oasis, and Radiohead
In Manchester there are two major Football Teams: Manchester United and Manchester City. This is a picture of me with... more travel advice
I took this picture, not accurately framed of the lovely architecture in Manchester on this cold December 2001... more travel advice
mydreamquest's Related Pages
Greater Manchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great Greater Manchester!"
- "Around Manchester"
- "The heart of Northwest*"
- "Didsbury, South Manchester"
- "It always rains in Manchester...its true!"
- "Not What you Expect"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greater Manchester
- Hotels in Greater Manchester
- Transportation in Greater Manchester
- Nightlife in Greater Manchester
- Restaurants in Greater Manchester
- Shopping in Greater Manchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Greater Manchester
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Greater Manchester
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Greater Manchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greater Manchester
Photos in Greater ManchesterSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 75 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 61 reviews, 63 photos
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos
- Vienna Intro, 36 reviews, 67 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Turku Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos
- Venice Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos