"One of my favourite Cuban placs" Top 5 Page for this destination Cienfuegos by Alicja1

Cienfuegos Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 292 photos

introduction

Located in The South coast of the central region of Cuba, Cienfuegos has a singular history which is present in the Castle of Our Mother of Los Angeles of Jagua, loaded of legend that for 250 years has been the only access defending the best sea to one of bays of raft of The Hispanic America. Their excellence as far as depth, defense and the inner presence of keys and coves turned the bay into a refuge against storms of the Caribbean Sea for the navigators of long ago, while today they have turned it into an ideal scene for regatas and matches of fast boats and jet skies. Cienfuegos, capital of the province with the same name, was designed in its definitive layout by French colonos in 1819. Those pioneers coming from Bordeaux and La Luisiana laid the the urbanistic foundations of civil architecture that gives singularity to the city, and attest their refinement. The perfect layout of their streets, harmonically conjugated with multiple constructions and other elements of high architectural value, reveals the splendor of a cosmopolitan culture with a strong French accent, and allows the visitor to breathe the neoclassic atmosphere that distinguishes this large city, raised at the border of a bay of strongly rooted marine traditions, in a region also equipped with innumerable natural attractiveness and a vast culinary culture.

People

We went to Cienfuegos twice. I absolutely love this town. Its so romantic, clean and beautiful. I think it has the best maintained buildings in all Cuba. We havent stayed for a night so I have no tips about it. I found people over here very friendly except...hihi people can be so vlever.. the old guy came to me giving me MONEY !!!! I had no idea what he wants from me then he explained that these coins were real old Cuban peso 9 as a tourist i was not allowed to have them) and than he asked me to give a T-shirt. Unfortunately nobody from us had a spare one so he said that we can buy one in shop near by and it costs only 3 peso. I felt sorry for the guy so we followed him to the shop...well.. the cheapest T-shirt costed 35 peso!

I took those pictures because I think these people are absolutely beautiful!

PS. I didnt wake him up :-)

• Pros:Fantastic people, friendly town
  • Cons:no cons at all
  • Last visit to Cienfuegos: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2006

• Nov 23, 2006 at 5:55 AM

2 great informative tips. Always wanted to visit Cuba maybe in a few years.

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2006 at 11:05 AM

Sounds like you would really like to go back to Cienfuegos .... I really like your Intro photo, that's just how I imagined Cuba to be.

• AndYolland's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2006 at 12:24 PM

Dear Alicja, write more tips and stories. The pictures were verylively and full of joy and real life. I really enjoyed your Cuban pages, Andrew

Alicja1

“Everything is possible!”

Badges & Stats in Cienfuegos

Have you been to Cienfuegos?

Latest Activity in Cienfuegos