"Place full of history" Trinidad by Alicja1
Trinidad Travel Guide: 229 reviews and 671 photos
Trinidad has five main squares and four churches date from the 18th and 19th centuries the whole city, cobbled streets and tiled roofs, is a national monument and since 1988 a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
In 1797 there were 56 sugar mills and 12 000 slaves. Imported to work in the sugar cane fields. Industrial Revolution and the increase in sugar grown in Europe, in the second half of the 19th century Trinidad went into decline.
Unquestionably, the greatest attraction in Trinidad is the town itself, which constitutes one of the finest colonial nuclei in the Americas and, justifiably, has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in its entirety. The town's cobblestone streets -- so uneven that they virtually guarantee that nary a car or even a bicycle can pass into the old center -- are a treasure of small and grand colonial homes, churches, and quiet squares. Walking desultorily about the curving streets of the old town is unmatched in Cuba for tranquillity and charm. About the only feature not authentically colonial about it is the neon cross that crowns the church on Plaza Mayor. Remarkably, as quaint as it is, Trinidad feels like a real town where Cubans live and work, rather than the film set it first appears to be.
We were travelling three hours to see Trinidad, which welcome us by rainy weather. You could see a water going down in the middle of the street. Anyway, we did enjoy our trip and found this city a beautiful and friendly place.
- Pros:Fantastic architecture and cheap art shopping
- Cons:cant find any
Several of Trinidad's atmospheric, cobblestone streets are converted into street markets featuring artisanal... more travel advice
The place for cigars and tobacco paraphernalia in town, La Casa del Tabaco, has two branches and carries all the finest... more travel advice
Alicja1's Related Pages
Trinidad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trinidad - witness of slave trading"
- "Having a great time in Trinidad"
- "La ciudad de la siesta"
- "ITS HOTTTTTTTTTTTT in the CITY!!!"
- "Trinidad, Cuba."
- "Place full of history"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trinidad
- Hotels in Trinidad
- Transportation in Trinidad
- Nightlife in Trinidad
- Restaurants in Trinidad
- Shopping in Trinidad
- Warnings and Dangers in Trinidad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trinidad
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Trinidad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trinidad
Top 10 Pages
- Havana Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 44 reviews, 14 photos
- Cuba Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varadero Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namuamua Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fiji Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Prague Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kety Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Dakota Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Latest Trinidad hotel reviews
- Hotel Casa Munoz
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- Islazul Hotel La Ronda Trinidad
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Iberostar Grand Hotel Trinidad
- 289 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Brisas Del Mar Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Finca Ma' Dolores Trinidad
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel Ancon
- 228 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- Hotel Las Cuevas
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013