"JAIPUR, Rajasthan's Capital City" Jaipur by OlivierB
Jaipur Travel Guide: 1,078 reviews and 3,258 photos
The picturesque capital of Rajasthan, Jaipur is colour washed pink-the colour associated with hospitality in Rajput culture. Built in 1727 A.D. by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II, Jaipur displays a remarkable harmony and architectural splendour. The name Rajasthan comes from "Raja" (kings) and "sthan" (place of) translate Land of Kings. Its glorious past lives on through a multitude of Forts, palaces, museums, tales of chivalry and colorful people. This is peraphs the number one destination for Western visitors coming to India.
The Hawa Mahal (literal meaning, palace of the winds) is an important landmark of the city of Jaipur, the pink city of India. It is an interesting building, although it is actually little more than a façade. This honeycombed building was originally built to facilitate the women of the royal household to watch the everyday life and processions of the city. The Hawa mahal was built by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh in 1799.
Amber was the ancient capital of the Kachhwaha Rajputs until Sawai Jai Singh II moved down the hill to his newly created capital, Jaipur. Successive rulers added to the Fort Palace commenced by Raja Man Singh in 1600, and built one of the most imposing fort-dwellings in all of Rajasthan. A walk through the site and you realise just how grand a role Amber was meant to play. The fort houses enough attractions to fill a long, lazy day of sightseeing. The hill can be conquered by foot, by jeep and by elephant. Once you've done the trip, do it again, and take the time to check out the splendours of the Diwan-e-Aam, the Kali temple, the Jai Mandir (with its inlaid panels and mirrored ceilings) and the Sukh Niwas (with an ivory inlaid sandalwood door and a channel running right through the room which once carried cooling water). Round it all off with the breathtaking view of Jaipur from the ramparts of Amber fort.
- Pros:Site beauty, museums, forts, palaces, shopping
- Cons:summer heat
- In a nutshell:One of India's Must Visit Places
OlivierB's Related Pages
Jaipur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Jaipur"
- "Jaipur, the pink city of Rajasthan"
- "The Pink City, Rajasthan's sunny capital"
- "Jaipur-The City of Palaces,Forts&Gardens"
- "Jaipur: The Capital of Rajputana !"
- "Jaipur - The Pink City"
- "Jaipur जयपुर"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jaipur
- Hotels in Jaipur
- Transportation in Jaipur
- Nightlife in Jaipur
- Restaurants in Jaipur
- Shopping in Jaipur
- Warnings and Dangers in Jaipur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jaipur
- 2 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Jaipur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jaipur
Photos in JaipurSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Mumbai Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 18 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Agra Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaipur Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Varanasi Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucknow Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jodhpur Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.