"Bowness-on-Windermere" Bowness-on-Windermere by coopergirl2003

Bowness-on-Windermere Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 26 photos

Reason for Visiting

I came back to the Lake District this year to celebrate a 30th Birthday Party with a group of friends. I'd enjoyed the area so much on my last visit in June 2005 and wanted to see more of it.

I stayed in an amazing cottage with 4 bedrooms, large garden area, pool table and a great view of Windermere (in summer you wouldn't be able to see the lake as trees would have their leaves back).

Unfortunately there wasn't any snow (I love walking in the snow) but it was great weather for the time of year and everyone enjoyed themselves!

The town centre is quite extensive and we found a really old pub (recommended by the taxi driver) down a side street and enjoyed a fantastic chinese meal (again recommended by the taxi driver!).

Where else to visit?

I'm a real fan of Ambleside having visited last year and revisited the waterfalls this time - I even encouraged everyone to dip their toes in the water....it took some convincing but it felt really nice afterwards (lovely warm socks and walking boots compared to ice cold feet with beginnings of cramp when in the water!). However Bowness had more shops and cafes open than Ambleside. I think Ambleside was closed for Winter holidays which surprised me. We caught the boat over to Ambleside and back to Bowness which although fun, was absolutely freezing! I was quite amused by a road sign in the middle of the lake saying 10mph (it's the litle things that make me smile!).

There are so many cafes, pubs and restaurants to go to for refreshments and as I didn't take the dog this time I was able to enjoy. We all had the best Sunday carvery in Bowness despite feeling a little ill from the party the night before. Despite not booking, I was asked by the chef if I wanted veggie gravy and any veggie dish cooking which I thought was great service (I declined and had an extra yorkshire pudding instead - yum!!)

I feel like I didn't even touch on most things to do at Bowness as the visit was mostly focussed on staying and partying at the cottage but it was a fantastic stay and I'll be returning back whenever I get the chance.

• Pros:Open all year round
  • Cons:Always busy
  • Last visit to Bowness-on-Windermere: Jan 2006
  • Intro Written Apr 18, 2006

coopergirl2003

“Travel, you can't beat it!”

Badges & Stats in Bowness-on-Windermere

Have you been to Bowness-on-Windermere?

Latest Activity in Bowness-on-Windermere