"Bowness-on-Windermere" Bowness-on-Windermere by coopergirl2003
Bowness-on-Windermere Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 26 photos
I came back to the Lake District this year to celebrate a 30th Birthday Party with a group of friends. I'd enjoyed the area so much on my last visit in June 2005 and wanted to see more of it.
I stayed in an amazing cottage with 4 bedrooms, large garden area, pool table and a great view of Windermere (in summer you wouldn't be able to see the lake as trees would have their leaves back).
Unfortunately there wasn't any snow (I love walking in the snow) but it was great weather for the time of year and everyone enjoyed themselves!
The town centre is quite extensive and we found a really old pub (recommended by the taxi driver) down a side street and enjoyed a fantastic chinese meal (again recommended by the taxi driver!).
I'm a real fan of Ambleside having visited last year and revisited the waterfalls this time - I even encouraged everyone to dip their toes in the water....it took some convincing but it felt really nice afterwards (lovely warm socks and walking boots compared to ice cold feet with beginnings of cramp when in the water!). However Bowness had more shops and cafes open than Ambleside. I think Ambleside was closed for Winter holidays which surprised me. We caught the boat over to Ambleside and back to Bowness which although fun, was absolutely freezing! I was quite amused by a road sign in the middle of the lake saying 10mph (it's the litle things that make me smile!).
There are so many cafes, pubs and restaurants to go to for refreshments and as I didn't take the dog this time I was able to enjoy. We all had the best Sunday carvery in Bowness despite feeling a little ill from the party the night before. Despite not booking, I was asked by the chef if I wanted veggie gravy and any veggie dish cooking which I thought was great service (I declined and had an extra yorkshire pudding instead - yum!!)
I feel like I didn't even touch on most things to do at Bowness as the visit was mostly focussed on staying and partying at the cottage but it was a fantastic stay and I'll be returning back whenever I get the chance.
- Pros:Open all year round
- Cons:Always busy
coopergirl2003's Related Pages
Bowness-on-Windermere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The BIG Lake and it's big charm"
- "Weekends Away"
- "Touristy Lake District"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bowness-on-Windermere
- Hotels in Bowness-on-Windermere
- Transportation in Bowness-on-Windermere
- Nightlife in Bowness-on-Windermere
- Restaurants in Bowness-on-Windermere
- Shopping in Bowness-on-Windermere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bowness-on-Windermere
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Bowness-on-Windermere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bowness-on-Windermere
Top 10 Pages
- Nottingham Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ullswater Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Bristol Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jamaica Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Derbyshire Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Gloucestershire Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Skegness Intro, 6 photos, 1 travelogue