"Hey Up Me Duck" Nottingham by coopergirl2003

Nottingham Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 819 photos

** Page in Progress - check back soon **

What can I tell you about Nottingham? It's quite difficult to explain the city you live in when most of the time is spent in the car without paying much attention to your surroundings...but I'll give it a go!

On my home page I mentioned that there's so much to do in Nottingham and so I'll try and explain all the different things...but this page will be a work in progress as I've not yet taken many photos (so please come back soon).

Famous Faces

Nottingham has a few very well known and not so well known faces.

DH Lawrence was born in Eastwood in 1885 and his house in now the DH Lawrence museum
Lord Byron was born in Southwell in 1803 and later bought (and sold) Newstead Abbey.

Jesse Boot was born in Hockley in 1850 and is well known for creating and setting up Boots the Chemists which has over 500 stores.

Helen Watts (born in Nottingham) was a suffragette and later lectured on the cause.

Captain Albert Ball from Nottingham was a Flying Ace in the 1st World War.

Torvill and Dean are well known ice skating champs who won the Olympic Gold Medal in 1984 and now have roads named after them.

Samantha Morton originated in Nottingham and is now an Oscar Nominated Actress. I saw her once in one of the shopping centres looking gaunt and miserable...

Shane Meadows is a director who has based his films in Nottingham.

The last famous face I can think of is more of a legend than a famous person, a legend who's tale has been told for over 700 years.... it's Robin Hood of course! Does he exist I hear you say? Well, not being old enough to know him personally I can't say one way or another. I know that his history brings a lot of tourists to Nottingham and there's a fair few films about the legend (the most recent one on the TV - last week - is the one with Kevin Costner in). We even have a Sheriff of Nottingham working at the City Council!

Sporting stuff

I'm not a huge fan of sports but have recently enjoyed watching ice hockey. I've been to one football match in Nottingham and have been to a wedding reception at the cricket ground but I think that's about it!

Apparently there are lots of poeple who do enjoy sports because there's 42 sports and leisure centres across the county (possibly full of people like me who pay for a membership and then don't use it....) THat's more facilities per head of population than anywhere else in Europe...wow!

We've got Trent Bridge Cricket Ground in West Bridgford which is one of the worlds oldest cricket grounds and we had the Ashes test last year (England won this bit of the test). Like I mentioed earlier, I've been there for a wedding reception and it does look like a good ground.

We've got 2 main football teams and grounds - there's Nottingham Forest at City Ground (home to Forest since 1898). Oh, there's another person I should have added to the famous faces list - Brian Clough who was loved as a football manager across the UK in his time. Then there's Meadow Lane Ground where Notts County play (the worlds oldest professional football club - 1862).

There's Nottingham Rugby Football Club, Nottingham Racecourse, Nottingham Tennis Centre, 31 golf clubs, endless fishing spots...

There's the National Ice Centre which has 2 olympic sized rinks and is home to the Nottingham Panthers (the team I went to see recently). It also doubles as a concert venue.

Theres National Water Sports Centre which is one of the largest providers of water sports in England.

And last but not least there's Donnington Park which is 20 miles outside of Nottingham and is known to the international grand prix

Entertainment
Nottingham has seen a huge increase in pubs, clubs and restaurants with it feeling like if a bank or church closed down, a bar would open up. In fact, it's firmly on the map for stag/hen weekends - don't worry if this is not your thing as there's so many places that you can avoid it if you need to....but there may be a queue of white limo's down the road full of shrieking women!

Unfortunatly being a big city there's plenty of people out to ruin your night and there's lots of people begging by cash points but again you can avoid it by taking money out with you and staying in certain areas.

There's over 300 bars/clubs and 200+ restaurants. Nottingham is multicultural and if you love your food then you'll be really quite happy!

There's a few multiplex cinemas but there's also Broadway which is really cosy and shows more 'arthouse' films. Then there's The Screen Room which only has 22 seats making it officially the worlds smallest cinema! I've been to the multiplexes and to Broadway (I studied French at college and went there to watch French films). There's usually an introduction to the film from a member of staff and the cafe has fantastic food and atmosphere. A lot of people just go to the cafe instead of the cinema! The multiplexes are huge and what you would expect really...

The Olde Trip to Jerusalem is reported to be the worlds oldest inn and it's carved into the rock beneath Nottingham Castle. It's sister pub the Bell Inn is known to go back to 1437. I've been in both - the old trip is tiny and has a huge hole in the rock ceiling, the bell inn has a nice seating area outside in the summer and is like a rabbit warren inside - lots of little rooms off the main corridor.

If you like your theatre (I'm now a fan) then there's The Theatre Royal, Nottingham Playhouse and lots of smaller companies.

There's plenty of music venues such as Nottingham Arena (10,000 capacity - don't put your bag on the floor as it's a board covering the ice skating rink and it stains your bag...the sound quality isn't wonderful either), Rock City (fantastic venue but your shoes stick to the floor and sometimes sweat drips from the ceiling...but many happy memories for me!), Royal Concert hall and lots of other clubs to choose from. We've had concerts from all genres of music including huge and small stars alike.

**see my travelogue pages for continuation...**

• Pros:So much to do and see, pedestrianised areas in the town centre, middle of england
  • Cons:High profile crimes, high house prices, congestion
  • In a nutshell:A great city for a short break
  • Intro Updated May 14, 2006

Comments

coopergirl2003 Lives Here!

coopergirl2003

“Travel, you can't beat it!”

Badges & Stats in Nottingham

Have you been to Nottingham?

Latest Activity in Nottingham