"Ullswater Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Ullswater by coopergirl2003

Ullswater Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 67 photos

Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink...

I spent most of my time in and around Ullswater Lake on my recent week's holiday in the Lake District. It's a beautiful lake, much longer than it first appears as it goes around a few corners!

The lake is 7.5 miles long, 0.75 miles wide and 205 feet deep. It apparently has trout, perch, pike and eels in it..which if I'd have known I might not have done any swimming!

Swimming in the lake

Along the A592 from Pooley Bridge (top of the lake) to Glenridding (bottom end) are small parking bays on the left hand side which get really busy quickly but if you find a space it's worth the stop. I found one which was next to a wall and a steep metal staircase down to a shingly 'beach' area next to the water. Walking to the right of this area I came across several smaller coves which were protected from the road and fairly secluded - even to the point of being able to change out of wet bra and pants from swimming! I went down there most days and swam out to the middle of the lake - it was initially a bit chilly but I soon got used to the water and really enjoyed the swim.

Barney loved it, as did several other dogs all lunging into the water to fetch balls and sticks!

What else to do?

There's not many paths on the A592 side of the lake to walk along, it's mostly the little coves. However further up the road is Aira Force which is a 180 foot drop waterfall. It's about a half mile walk from the car park and lots of uphill steps/paths but worth the effort. I have to admit that I'm extremely unfit and had to stop a time or two to let others pass so that I could have a few minutes rest but I managed it in the end!

There are several spots to dip your toes which I took full advantage of as did Barney (as usual!) and plenty of other walkers. It used to be a circular walk but they've shut one of the bridges with safety concerns but there's bridges further down which you can cross over - there's also the opportunity to cross over the water if you don't mind getting wet!

See my other pages and tips for more details on what to do.

• Pros:Absolutely gorgeous scenery, refreshing water, relaxing.
  • Cons:As with all Lake District venues, it's busy
  • Last visit to Ullswater: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 10, 2006

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 12:47 PM

Nice tips of a corner of UK I've yet to see. Thanks!

• namiewa's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 11:36 AM

if i was there i woudn't doubt to jump over in that clear water and have fun swimming. good tips aye.thanks for sharing and keep posting..have fun. ciao

coopergirl2003

“Travel, you can't beat it!”

Badges & Stats in Ullswater

Have you been to Ullswater?

Latest Activity in Ullswater