"Connemara County Galway" County Galway by Cruefan
County Galway Travel Guide: 1,152 reviews and 2,602 photos
My trip to Connemara was my favorite of the whole ten days. I drove through lush fields and hills and it was just beyond words. The winding roads brought great views around every corner and what I also found ineresting was just looking at the local farmers. Their faces were wind burned and you could tell that in every wrinkle in their face told a story of survival in this virtually untouched region of County Galway.
Driving along we could see white dots going up the hills representing Connemara sheep. I was told by a friend that the farmers all walked slightly leaning forward. This he told me was because they spent so much time walking up the hills counting their sheep.
We also visited Cong Abbey which was founded in 1135. The Town of Cong is actually on the border of County Galway and County Mayo and on a bridge near the abbey you can put 1 foot in Galway and the other in Mayo. The John Wayne movie " the quiet Man was also filmed in the town.
We visited Ashford Castle which is actually in Cong C. Mayo but it's close enough. The castle was built in 1228 and is now a hotel/resort and a popular spot for the Republic to host state dinners. The property has lush grounds, a golf course, and boat rentals. It is situated on the water with scenic views.
- Pros:scenery, friendly people, history
- Cons:Didn't find any
- In a nutshell:The jewel of west Ireland
I know it sounds ghoulish but I stopped at a few cemetaries and it was interesting reading the inscriptions and... more travel advice
If it was up to me my whole visit to the Connemara would of been spent driving on the back roads talking to locals. I... more travel advice
Cruefan's Related Pages
County Galway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Connemara & the movie " the Quiet man""
- "24 hours in County Galway"
- "Galway and Connemara"
- "Now my home"
- "hiking and drinking beer in county galway."
- "Connemara County Galway"
- "Connemara, The Aran Islands and Galway Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Galway
- Hotels in County Galway
- Transportation in County Galway
- Nightlife in County Galway
- Restaurants in County Galway
- Shopping in County Galway
- Warnings and Dangers in County Galway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Galway
- 25 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to County Galway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Galway
- Posted in Travel Dublin Forum "RE: RE: One day trip from Dublin..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "My drive through Connemara"
- updated a County Galway Travelogue "My drive through Connemara"
- Wrote a Review Visit the local cemetaries in County Galway Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of sue_stone's County Galway travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Key West Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- County Galway Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Clare Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athenry Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Fort Lauderdale Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warwick Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Lisdoonvarna Intro, 1 review, 2 photos