"Connemara County Galway" County Galway by Cruefan

County Galway Travel Guide: 1,148 reviews and 2,590 photos

Lush fields and lakes

My trip to Connemara was my favorite of the whole ten days. I drove through lush fields and hills and it was just beyond words. The winding roads brought great views around every corner and what I also found ineresting was just looking at the local farmers. Their faces were wind burned and you could tell that in every wrinkle in their face told a story of survival in this virtually untouched region of County Galway.

Driving along we could see white dots going up the hills representing Connemara sheep. I was told by a friend that the farmers all walked slightly leaning forward. This he told me was because they spent so much time walking up the hills counting their sheep.

Cong Abbey

We also visited Cong Abbey which was founded in 1135. The Town of Cong is actually on the border of County Galway and County Mayo and on a bridge near the abbey you can put 1 foot in Galway and the other in Mayo. The John Wayne movie " the quiet Man was also filmed in the town.

Ashford Castle

We visited Ashford Castle which is actually in Cong C. Mayo but it's close enough. The castle was built in 1228 and is now a hotel/resort and a popular spot for the Republic to host state dinners. The property has lush grounds, a golf course, and boat rentals. It is situated on the water with scenic views.

• Pros:scenery, friendly people, history
  • Cons:Didn't find any
  • In a nutshell:The jewel of west Ireland
  • Last visit to County Galway: May 2005
  • Intro Written Jun 3, 2005

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2013 at 4:03 AM

The landscape in Connemara looks beautiful! I plan to visit in February so it won't be so green then.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2006 at 4:07 AM

I'm going to Ireland in August. Of course Oonnemara is included in our itinerary. I can't wait!

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2005 at 6:48 AM

beeeeeeeeautiful photos!

• ladyanne's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2005 at 3:45 PM

Connemara, Achill Island, and Dingle Peninsula are my favorite parts of Ireland, and I've see alot. I like Donegal also.....I love your pics and sentiments, I feel the same about locals and turf and farms.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2005 at 6:57 PM

I was just about to say: "Wow, blue skies! you had better weather than I did." Then I saw your packing list tip ;)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2005 at 1:23 PM

Connemara is one of my favourite parts of this beautiful island It is so moody & dramatic

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2005 at 1:15 PM

It really is a beautiful country isn't it!

Cruefan

“Carpe Diem”

Badges & Stats in County Galway

Have you been to County Galway?