Athenry Things to Do Tips by Cruefan
Athenry Things to Do: 11 reviews and 21 photos
This ruined priory is right across from Athenry castle. It was built in 1241and is a great example of a Medieval Monastary.
I expolored the grounds during the day and at night after a night at the Castlegate Hotel. I prefered during the day because the locals say it's haunted.
Address: Athenry CO. Galway
Directions: Right Across from Athenry Castle
"The Castle consists of a towering Keep surrounded by a curtain wall with three towers, one rectangular and two round.
The Keep was basically a castle within a castle where the lord and his family and loya retainers lived. The river Clareen on the East side of the castle fed a wet ditch or moat encircling it."
The keep could be seen from our house and it costs 2.50 Euro to explore inside. It's the reason Athenry was settled and is a very important landmark in town. If you have kids in tow there is a small park on the grounds and the Dominican Priory is across the road.
Address: Athenry Co. Galway
Directions: From City Center go past the Mace store and follow the road until you see the castle.
Phone: +353 (0)91 844797
More Reviews (5)
Cruefan's Related Pages
Athenry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I promise not to sing"
- "Athenry, Co. Galway."
- "'The Fields of Athenry..............."
- "Ath na ri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Athenry
- Hotels in Athenry
- Transportation in Athenry
- Nightlife in Athenry
- Restaurants in Athenry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Athenry
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Athenry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Athenry
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Key West Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- County Galway Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Clare Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athenry Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Fort Lauderdale Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warwick Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Lisdoonvarna Intro, 1 review, 2 photos