"Athenry" Athenry by Cruefan

Athenry Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 40 photos

Athenry..A walled Town

Athenry was my home base for my Ireland 2005 trip. My wife and I stayed at her aunt and uncle's house. Athenry used to be a walled city and about 3/4 of the walls still exist. The town was formed about 1238.

Athenry consists of various shops and pubs and had very narrow streets. The arch on northgate Str still stands. If in Town you can also visit Athenry Castle and Dominican priory which I will get into more detail later.

Central Location

An advantage to being based in Athenry was it's transportation. The train and bus station was in walking distance and we were able to get trains to Dublin and Galway City. It's a good option if you're looking for something outside Galway.

• Pros:Close to Galway City
  • Cons:rising property prices
  • In a nutshell:Nice town
  • Last visit to Athenry: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2005

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2005 at 8:10 AM

You had a nice place to stay here! A pretty little town with a great pub or two - sounds great to me! Don't forget to pull on that shower cord when you are finished too!!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2005 at 12:55 PM

nice page from the green isle.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2005 at 12:18 PM

Thanks ,Im drooling over that breakfast now

• ladyanne's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2005 at 3:38 PM

Thanks for the words to the song. It is my favorite ballard. So sad. I see you were traveling by train and bus. Lucky to have a place to stay with relatives.

• jessicadf's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2005 at 1:33 PM

Sure, anytime! I need to go there for more than a couple hours some day. ;-p

Cruefan

“Carpe Diem”

Badges & Stats in Athenry

Have you been to Athenry?

Latest Activity in Athenry