"Athenry" Athenry by Cruefan
Athenry Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 40 photos
Athenry was my home base for my Ireland 2005 trip. My wife and I stayed at her aunt and uncle's house. Athenry used to be a walled city and about 3/4 of the walls still exist. The town was formed about 1238.
Athenry consists of various shops and pubs and had very narrow streets. The arch on northgate Str still stands. If in Town you can also visit Athenry Castle and Dominican priory which I will get into more detail later.
An advantage to being based in Athenry was it's transportation. The train and bus station was in walking distance and we were able to get trains to Dublin and Galway City. It's a good option if you're looking for something outside Galway.
- Pros:Close to Galway City
- Cons:rising property prices
- In a nutshell:Nice town
I love an Irish Fry. It consisted of rashers(bacon) sausage, fried egg, a potato waffle, fried tomato, and white... more travel advice
Written by Peter St. John in the 1980's. The Fields of Athenry were written about the struggle between Ireland and... more travel advice
Cruefan's Related Pages
Athenry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I promise not to sing"
- "Athenry, Co. Galway."
- "'The Fields of Athenry..............."
- "Ath na ri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Athenry
- Hotels in Athenry
- Transportation in Athenry
- Nightlife in Athenry
- Restaurants in Athenry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Athenry
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Athenry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Athenry
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Key West Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- County Galway Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Clare Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athenry Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Fort Lauderdale Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warwick Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Lisdoonvarna Intro, 1 review, 2 photos