"Galway.. City of Tribes" Top 5 Page for this destination Galway by Cruefan
Galway Travel Guide: 532 reviews and 1,018 photos
I visited Galway twice on my trip and it's a fun place to ramble around. We found some great pubs and some not so great pubs. We spent most of our time walking around Quay Str and shop Str. We also took a trip to Salthill.
Like Dublin Galway has a large student population and it's a great place to do the " college thing". Galway is i situated in Galway bay which has the River Corrib feed into it. We did alot of our gift shopping in Galway. We also visited Galway Crystal which is in Merlin Park and my wife completed our china and crystal dining room set.
Galway is accessible by train and bus and has many hotels in the area. If visiting the west of Ireland it's in a great location between County Clare and the Connemara.
Alot of the main drag in Galway is cobblestone. The whole city just looks great along with it's coorful store fronts. We found plenty to do even though there was quite a bit of construction going on. Just like most places we visited in Ireland there was no shortage of pubs in Galway.
I spoke to alot of locals and most didn't like the direction Galway (or the west of Ireland) was going. property prices were being driven up because of higher demand. Galway is getting bigger every year and the locals say that this is turning Galway into a bigger city than most would like.
Still Galway is an exciting place to visit and we found lots of great music and craic.
- Pros:Great restaurants and nightlife
- Cons:Heavy congestion
- In a nutshell:Galway is a city in transition
Bookmaking is legal in Ireland and we found bookmaking places everywhere. You can bet of football, hurling, GAA games,... more travel advice
Galway Crystal makes some nice nice products and since my wife's family lives about 15 minutes away from the factory we... more travel advice
Cruefan's Related Pages
Galway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A walk around Galway"
- "The Far West of Europe"
- "Galway.. City of Tribes"
- "Galway- the big little city"
- "Galway City- My favourite Irish city...so far"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galway
- Hotels in Galway
- Transportation in Galway
- Nightlife in Galway
- Restaurants in Galway
- Shopping in Galway
- Warnings and Dangers in Galway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galway
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Galway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galway
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Key West Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- County Galway Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Clare Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athenry Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Fort Lauderdale Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warwick Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Lisdoonvarna Intro, 1 review, 2 photos