"Galway.. City of Tribes" Top 5 Page for this destination Galway by Cruefan

Galway Travel Guide: 516 reviews and 965 photos

Galway.. Fun City

I visited Galway twice on my trip and it's a fun place to ramble around. We found some great pubs and some not so great pubs. We spent most of our time walking around Quay Str and shop Str. We also took a trip to Salthill.

Like Dublin Galway has a large student population and it's a great place to do the " college thing". Galway is i situated in Galway bay which has the River Corrib feed into it. We did alot of our gift shopping in Galway. We also visited Galway Crystal which is in Merlin Park and my wife completed our china and crystal dining room set.

Galway is accessible by train and bus and has many hotels in the area. If visiting the west of Ireland it's in a great location between County Clare and the Connemara.

Cobblestone Streets paths.

Alot of the main drag in Galway is cobblestone. The whole city just looks great along with it's coorful store fronts. We found plenty to do even though there was quite a bit of construction going on. Just like most places we visited in Ireland there was no shortage of pubs in Galway.

I spoke to alot of locals and most didn't like the direction Galway (or the west of Ireland) was going. property prices were being driven up because of higher demand. Galway is getting bigger every year and the locals say that this is turning Galway into a bigger city than most would like.

Still Galway is an exciting place to visit and we found lots of great music and craic.

• Pros:Great restaurants and nightlife
  • Cons:Heavy congestion
  • In a nutshell:Galway is a city in transition
  • Last visit to Galway: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 3, 2005

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2006 at 10:58 AM

Lovely page on Galway. It's one of my favourite cities back in Ireland.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2005 at 5:17 PM

Nice job with your Galway pages!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2005 at 7:03 AM

Very interesting look at Galway. I enjoyed going through your pages. Could you place a bet on your Red Sox over there?

• londonlover's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2005 at 5:17 PM

Good points about Galway--looks like it's changing fast. I hope for the better! Nice Ireland pages, and I like your motto!

• ladyanne's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2005 at 3:33 PM

I am skipping Galway and going straight to Cliften in Nov. with daughter and friend. Galway I believe is under alot of construction? We will go Burren, Cliften, Connemara, Lough Corrib, Dingle, Kenmare, Bunratty. Just a week.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo