"Ocean Shores" Ocean Shores by Johnscarroll
Ocean Shores Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 84 photos
Ocean Shores is a small resort and retirement community located on a peninsula between Grays Harbor and the Pacific Ocean in Washington State. About 4000 people live in this low-key town. And it's about a 2.5 hour drive from Seattle during good traffic.
I own a condo here and always enjoy using my place as a quiet get-away. Ocean Shores is not sophisticated or exciting. Mostly families and middle class couples visit. They are attracted by, of course, the beach and the quiet.
This section of the Washington coast is marked by low hills, marsh lands, tide flats, small lakes, canals, and mile after mile of grassy dunes.
Fifteen minutes to the north, the terrain changes. There the beaches are distinguished by sandy bluffs, rocky outcrops, and towering coastal cedar and hemlock.
Olympic National Park and the Hoh Rainforest are 45 minutes north of Ocean Shores.
The weather in OS is mild and wet. Summers are cool and dry, though fog and coastal clouds often cover the area. The best time of year to visit is the spring or fall when rains are light and sun is often plentiful. Winter wind and rain storms can be brutal. During the summer, a passenger ferry connects Ocean Shores with the community of Wesport, located just across the harbor entrance to the south.
I think the best thing to do in Ocean Shores is walk on the beach. If that isn't enough, try the Musuem of the North Coast (a tiny grassroots museum). Go to the OS Interpretive Center, see a movie (cheap!), go kyaking on Duck Lake and the canals, play golf, or shop in the art galleries (I recommend Fusion and Marjulie),
- Pros:Quiet, inexpensive, plenty to do
- Cons:Not a quaint coastal village, poor service in some restaurants
- In a nutshell:A good weekend getaway
Ocean Shores has 25 miles of freshwater lakes and canals. Duck Lake is the largest segment, and it adjoins the Grand... more travel advice
Johnscarroll's Related Pages
Ocean Shores Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ocean Shores Washington"
- "nature_girl's new Ocean Shores Page"
- "Ocean Shores"
- "Ocean Shores"
- "Why go to OS?"
- "Touristy Town on the Peninsula"
- "The Quinault Indian Nation & Quinault Resort"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ocean Shores
- Hotels in Ocean Shores
- Transportation in Ocean Shores
- Restaurants in Ocean Shores
- Warnings and Dangers in Ocean Shores
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ocean Shores
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ocean Shores?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ocean Shores
Photos in Ocean ShoresSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Seattle Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos
- Brussels Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Brugge Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Ocean Shores Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Füssen Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Chelan Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Rhein Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Bacharach Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Cologne Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
No friends yet.