"LONGWOOD GARDENS" Top 5 Page for this destination Kennett Square by eugini2001
Kennett Square Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 126 photos
It was Christmas 2004! I didn't expect green grass meadows or fountain shows in December, I thought it would be something like our Botanic Garden in Brooklyn,with one small difference -it used to be the private estate of old Du Pont! So i was ready for some really quite,silent & "sleeping nature" visit. But I saw & enjoyed more than I had expected! So now meet Sir Peirce -du Pont in his own house! I mean his portrait on the wall in his cosy house!For some reason it's so red on VT pages,but it's good on my computer,so I'm sorry!Joshua and Samuel Peirce began planting an arboretum in 1798. In 1906, Pierre du Pont purchased the farm so that he could preserve the trees. Longwood owes most of its public appeal to Pierre du Pont and his innate sense of garden as theater, tying Longwood to the great gardens of Italy and France. The Dawn Redwood, or Metasequoia, is referred to as a living fossil since it was first described from fossils found in 1941 and the first living trees were not discovered until 1948. The Longwood Gardens Dawn Redwood is a proud specimen in the Arboretum, where the seeds were collected to grow these rare trees.
- Pros:Wonderful house & estate
- Cons:It so cold in winter over there
- In a nutshell:Old Du Pont had a great taste!
They made me call them "favourite",but I'd loved daffodills all my life.So they are #1 now among my favourite flowers . more travel advice
eugini2001's Related Pages
Kennett Square Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Longwood Gardens at Christmas"
- "Kennett Square"
- "LONGWOOD GARDENS"
- "Longwood Gardens"
- " THE LAND OF MUSHROOMS AND FLOWERS "
- "JVENUTO's new Kennett Square Page"
- "Mid-Summer at Longwood Gardens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kennett Square
- Nightlife in Kennett Square
- Restaurants in Kennett Square
- Shopping in Kennett Square
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kennett Square
- 8 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Kennett Square?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kennett Square
Photos in Kennett SquareSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Orlando Intro, 19 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Selcuk Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos
- Yalta Intro, 5 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Olathe Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Houston Intro, 3 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alushta Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Moscow Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos
- Williamsburg Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos