"LONGWOOD GARDENS" Top 5 Page for this destination Kennett Square by eugini2001

Kennett Square Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 126 photos

Meet Sir Peirce-du Pont House

It was Christmas 2004! I didn't expect green grass meadows or fountain shows in December, I thought it would be something like our Botanic Garden in Brooklyn,with one small difference -it used to be the private estate of old Du Pont! So i was ready for some really quite,silent & "sleeping nature" visit. But I saw & enjoyed more than I had expected! So now meet Sir Peirce -du Pont in his own house! I mean his portrait on the wall in his cosy house!For some reason it's so red on VT pages,but it's good on my computer,so I'm sorry!Joshua and Samuel Peirce began planting an arboretum in 1798. In 1906, Pierre du Pont purchased the farm so that he could preserve the trees. Longwood owes most of its public appeal to Pierre du Pont and his innate sense of garden as theater, tying Longwood to the great gardens of Italy and France. The Dawn Redwood, or Metasequoia, is referred to as a living fossil since it was first described from fossils found in 1941 and the first living trees were not discovered until 1948. The Longwood Gardens Dawn Redwood is a proud specimen in the Arboretum, where the seeds were collected to grow these rare trees.

kitchen

What I liked in the house was the kitchen,sure I'm a woman!

library

But my husband said I looked better in the library

• Pros:Wonderful house & estate
  • Cons:It so cold in winter over there
  • In a nutshell:Old Du Pont had a great taste!
  • Last visit to Kennett Square: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 27, 2005

• Rich62's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I invite you to take a look at my Kennett Square page. I revisited Longwood Gardens in 2011.
    Rich

• JosM's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Nice description and pics of Kennett Square!

eugini2001

“Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall,even to the next county,tothe foreign country,but NOT to where the G is”

Badges & Stats in Kennett Square

Have you been to Kennett Square?

Latest Activity in Kennett Square