"Historic Camden" Camden by ZanieOR

Camden Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 8 photos

Camden is a small town about 30 miles northeast of Columbia, which my friend and I decided to visit as a side day trip while in South Carolina, mainly for its history.
When we first drove into town we along a highway with fast food places and discount stores at first we thought maybe we'd made a mistake, but it turned out to be a very delightful and interesting day.

I'm not sure how many towns in the south have the distinction of being burned in two different wars -- the Revoluntionary War and the Civil War.

We visited "Historic Camden," which included the recreation of a Revolutionary War era house, the Quaker Cemetery, several antique stores and enjoyed lunch in the modern-day downtown.

Since my knowledge of Camden was absolutely zero when I arrived, I learned a lot about this small town, and left knowing there was a lot more know.

In the present day, it is known for steeple-chase races, which would be fascinating to return for someday, I think.
I was going to make Camden an "off the beaten path" tip for Columbia (I probably still will), but thought it deserved its own page.

• Pros:Plenty to keep a visitor interested in history busy, at least for a day or two
  • Cons:Partially destroyed by fire in two wars
  • In a nutshell:Very historic, charming little Southern town
  • Last visit to Camden: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated May 22, 2005

Comments

ZanieOR

“There's a whole wide world out there”

Badges & Stats in Camden