"Historic Camden" Camden by ZanieOR
Camden Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 8 photos
Camden is a small town about 30 miles northeast of Columbia, which my friend and I decided to visit as a side day trip while in South Carolina, mainly for its history.
When we first drove into town we along a highway with fast food places and discount stores at first we thought maybe we'd made a mistake, but it turned out to be a very delightful and interesting day.
I'm not sure how many towns in the south have the distinction of being burned in two different wars -- the Revoluntionary War and the Civil War.
We visited "Historic Camden," which included the recreation of a Revolutionary War era house, the Quaker Cemetery, several antique stores and enjoyed lunch in the modern-day downtown.
Since my knowledge of Camden was absolutely zero when I arrived, I learned a lot about this small town, and left knowing there was a lot more know.
In the present day, it is known for steeple-chase races, which would be fascinating to return for someday, I think.
I was going to make Camden an "off the beaten path" tip for Columbia (I probably still will), but thought it deserved its own page.
- Pros:Plenty to keep a visitor interested in history busy, at least for a day or two
- Cons:Partially destroyed by fire in two wars
- In a nutshell:Very historic, charming little Southern town
During our visit to the Quaker Cemetery, one thing I was surprised at was the fact, considering the controversy, the... more travel advice
ZanieOR's Related Pages
Camden Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Camden
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Camden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Camden
Photos in CamdenSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Joseph Intro, 38 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 28 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannon Beach Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos
- Portland Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Charleston Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos