"'Whale Watching Capital'" Depoe Bay by ZanieOR

Depoe Bay Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 24 photos

Unique coastal town

According to its Chamber of Commerce website (and I believe they are telling the truth), Depoe Bay on the Oregon Coast has the world’s smallest navigable harbor.
I’ve never stayed at Depoe Bay (yet), but it’s sandwiched between Lincoln City and Newport, two of the coastal towns I visit the most, and I often stop for awhile to eat or watch the sea or, the last time I was there, to visit its whale watching interpretive center.
Depoe Bay calls itself the “Whale Watching Capital of the Oregon Coast.”
When my son was in high school we took a whale watching boat excursion (Tradewind Charters, I think) out in the ocean there, and actually saw a whale spout.
There’s a sea wall that lines the whole length of the downtown, another Depoe Bay distinction, and you can watch the ocean waves while eating or shopping.
“Our fairy tale village is brimming with colorful stores, gift shops and galleries. Whales frolic and feed in our bay. At day’s end, follow the path of the setting sun as it sinks into the Pacific,” says the chamber.
My nephew is getting married on a beach near Depoe Bay and I will be staying in a motel there (Crown Pacific Inn) so will be able to write more later

• Pros:Picturesque, great place to watch the ocean (and whales)
  • Cons:Most of it right along the busy coastal highway
  • Last visit to Depoe Bay: Feb 2008
  • Intro Written Aug 15, 2008

Comments

ZanieOR

“There's a whole wide world out there”

Badges & Stats in Depoe Bay

Have you been to Depoe Bay?

Latest Activity in Depoe Bay