"Oregon coastal town" Top 5 Page for this destination Cannon Beach by ZanieOR

Cannon Beach Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 278 photos

Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach, which is only about 65 miles west of Portland, is one of the most photographed landmarks on the Oregon coast, for good reason.
Whether clear or shrouded in coastal fog it is beautiful and unmistakable.

Haystack Rock at 235 feet tall is said to be the third largest coastal monolith in the world. It's a marine sanctuary, which is also the nesting place for lots of sea birds, so you aren't allowed to climb it.
It is most fun to visit at low tide because of all the tide pool creatures that are visible.

Cannon Beach, along with Oceanside, Newport and Bandon, is among my favorite towns along Oregon' beautiful coastline.
It has lots of art galleries, and in many ways is Joseph's "sister city" on the coast. In fact Valley Bronze foundry in Joseph once had a Valley Bronze Showroom in both cities, until the one in Cannon Beach moved to Astoria last year.
Somewhere along Cannon Beach, which wasn't incorporated until 1957, decided to focus on the artsy rustic look with strict land use planning resrictions, and it is a very attractive place to visit.

This photo of my son flying a kite was young is one of my favorites of him. It was taken at the overlook at Ecola State Park, about two miles north of Cannon Beach. You can see the town in the background.
They say this is one of the most photographed places on the Oregon coast and I can believe it.
It looks like we are right on the beach, when in fact we were high above the ocean.
The view there is breathtaking.

• Pros:Lovely views, nice beach, many galleries, shops and restaurants.
  • Cons:A tad on the touristy side, especially during the summer season.
  • In a nutshell:Fun to visit for photography, viewing art, shopping, beachcombing, playing in the sand.
  • Last visit to Cannon Beach: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2005

• davequ's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I've been to Cannon Beach a few times. A little touristy but still one of my fave places in OR. Your tips are spot on and informative. You even got Mo's in there (great chowder) - Really like the Ecola kite foto. Thanks for sharing

• GuthrieColin's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Great Page! I'm headed to Cannon Beach in July. I'll be looking back to your tips again before i head out.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 3:08 PM

very nice page. i started a bike trip a few years ago from cannon beach to mexico and my first stop was mikes bike shaop that you mention on your page :O)

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2006 at 8:43 PM

Hello Elaine! Cannon Beach looks really nice. Your tips have so much information, made me feel as if I were there. Happy birthday from Finland!

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2005 at 10:51 AM

One of these days... I'll have that great clam chowder and be able to use your excellent tips!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 5:55 PM

great page!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2005 at 6:45 AM

Like you, I love wild coastlines. This looks right up my street. Many years ago I did visit Oregon and saw some of the wonderful coast. Nice page for beach-lovers.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2005 at 3:09 AM

Ecola State Park looks amazing. McBee Motel Cottages and Mo's...my kind of places and great tips from a real local. I'll be back someday!

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2005 at 11:24 AM

Another very interesting page.

• Tourtech's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 2:38 PM

Cool pages.... We enjoyed your tips.. . Love bonfires on the beach.... Safe travels from travelling Canadians!

ZanieOR

“There's a whole wide world out there”

Badges & Stats in Cannon Beach

Have you been to Cannon Beach?

Latest Activity in Cannon Beach