"Oregon coastal town" Top 5 Page for this destination Cannon Beach by ZanieOR
Cannon Beach Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 281 photos
Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach, which is only about 65 miles west of Portland, is one of the most photographed landmarks on the Oregon coast, for good reason.
Whether clear or shrouded in coastal fog it is beautiful and unmistakable.
Haystack Rock at 235 feet tall is said to be the third largest coastal monolith in the world. It's a marine sanctuary, which is also the nesting place for lots of sea birds, so you aren't allowed to climb it.
It is most fun to visit at low tide because of all the tide pool creatures that are visible.
Cannon Beach, along with Oceanside, Newport and Bandon, is among my favorite towns along Oregon' beautiful coastline.
It has lots of art galleries, and in many ways is Joseph's "sister city" on the coast. In fact Valley Bronze foundry in Joseph once had a Valley Bronze Showroom in both cities, until the one in Cannon Beach moved to Astoria last year.
Somewhere along Cannon Beach, which wasn't incorporated until 1957, decided to focus on the artsy rustic look with strict land use planning resrictions, and it is a very attractive place to visit.
This photo of my son flying a kite was young is one of my favorites of him. It was taken at the overlook at Ecola State Park, about two miles north of Cannon Beach. You can see the town in the background.
They say this is one of the most photographed places on the Oregon coast and I can believe it.
It looks like we are right on the beach, when in fact we were high above the ocean.
The view there is breathtaking.
- Pros:Lovely views, nice beach, many galleries, shops and restaurants.
- Cons:A tad on the touristy side, especially during the summer season.
- In a nutshell:Fun to visit for photography, viewing art, shopping, beachcombing, playing in the sand.
This is my very, very favorite place to stay on the Oregon Coast. Each room is named and decorated after a different... more travel advice
Though I've never actually ridden on these "funcycles" (recumbent tricycles) I've often seen them on the beach and... more travel advice
ZanieOR's Related Pages
Cannon Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oregon coastal town"
- "Cannon Beach"
- "CANNON BEACH - CHANGE IS GOOD, OR?"
- "The Cannon Beach Coast"
- "Cannon Beach"
- "The Oregon Coast"
- "Cannon Beach - Coastal Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cannon Beach
- Hotels in Cannon Beach
- Transportation in Cannon Beach
- Restaurants in Cannon Beach
- Shopping in Cannon Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Cannon Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cannon Beach
- 16 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Cannon Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cannon Beach
Photos in Cannon BeachSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Joseph Intro, 38 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 28 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannon Beach Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos
- Portland Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Charleston Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos