"Windsor, across from Detroit" Windsor by bilgeez
Windsor Travel Guide: 329 reviews and 1,003 photos
Windsor, Ontario, is directly SOUTH of Detroit, across the Detroit river.
Windsor's population has been growing as Detroit's has been decreasing. Windsor now has about a quarter-million residents compared to Detroit's 800 thousand plus.
Windsor is as peaceful, clean and lively as a big city can be. It has about 1/10th the crime rate as Detroit and has many activities in the city and surrounding area in Kent County.
Windsor, of course takes it's name from that area in England where the Royal Family has a castle. Many of Windsor's first European residents were of English and Scottish descent, as is much of Canada.
Windsor grew up with Detroit, although it wasn't settled as early as Detroit was (1701).
Windsor is home to many auto parts manufacturing facilities and several auto companies have factories in the Windsor area as well.
Windsor is known for it's Spitfire Jr. Hockey team and has a very nice curling club.
Many Windsor residents are fans of the Detroit sports teams, as seen this past year when the Tigers played to successfully capturing the American League Pennant for the first time since 1984. And the businesses in Windsor reflect that support.
There are many fine pubs and restraurants in Windsor, there are also many fine places to stay there.
If you have occassion to visit Detroit or Southern Ontario, it would be worth it to come to visit Windsor.
It is easy to get to, the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel is off Jefferson Ave by the Renaissance Centre. The Ambassador Bridge is off I-75 south-west of downtown.
Here is the Detroit River taken from Belle Isle, with the Ambassador Bridge in the background.
- Pros:Quieter, more serene and better kept than Detroit
- Cons:Bridge and Tunnel tolls are stiff.
- In a nutshell:Very nice place to go, must see if in Detroit area.
bilgeez's Related Pages
Windsor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WINDSOR - MY HOME TOWN"
- "There's no Place Like Home"
- "Windsor and Essex County, Ontario"
- "Hiram Walker.'s Canadian Club Distillery."
- "Windsor Wonderland"
- "As south as you'll get in Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Windsor
- Hotels in Windsor
- Transportation in Windsor
- Nightlife in Windsor
- Restaurants in Windsor
- Shopping in Windsor
- Warnings and Dangers in Windsor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Windsor
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Windsor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Windsor
Photos in WindsorSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 27 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City Intro, 39 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Tablas Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Odessa Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambutal Intro, 18 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chitré Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Taboga Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Bowmanville Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue