"Kassel, Hesse, Germany" Top 5 Page for this destination Kassel by bilgeez
Kassel Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 234 photos
Kassel stradles the borders of the Bundeslaender of Hesse and Niedersachsen.
The city is a bit more spread out than other cities in Germany of similar population (about 200,000). This could be because of the huge park in the city centre. It stretches from the Orangerie Kassel up to the Oktigon monument and statue of Hercules, a distance of over 2 kilometres. The massive park contains; ruins, Loewenburg Castle, waterfalls, a geyser, and hiking trails that wend their ways throughout the length and breadth of the park, along them one can find some pleasant cafes and restaurants to take a restful and cushy break from one's hike. There are reported to be over 600 types of trees in the Habichtswald that this park resides in. Aside from the park and the Orangerie, most of the rest of the city is fairly non-descript. The Hauptbahnhof is fairly new and of modernistic architecture. Documenta is an event held every five years in Kassel to celebrate art in Germany and particulary, in Kassel, and to tout German artists. It is a year-long celebration, and the whole city in those years, was, of course, art-oriented. The next Documenta will be in 2007.
Kassel has some pleasant beach areas along the Fulda. Some sandy, some grassy. There are of course many pleasant restaurants and Bierstubes on the same as well, where one can take in the scenery, watch the Fulda flow gently by, and eat a leisurely meal at an outdoor cafe.
Of course, the Grimm brothers lived here, and there is a museum dedicated to them.
Volkswagen also has a parts factory just outside Kassel.
I haven't spent as much time in this city as most others I've visited in Germany, but I was most impressed by the massive central park, it's not as large as NYC's, but it is impressive for it's size and what is contained therein to explore and view. The waterfall system that cascades down from the Hercules monument is amazing. It is a tiara with jewels of statues studed through out. The man-made geyser is amazing, it is non-mechanical, pressure is built up by underground valves and when it builds to a certain point the geyser is released. It is something to see!
I could easily spend much free time here if I lived in the area.
- Pros:Big Nice Park Orangerie Places on River
- Cons:Not much in area outside of city centre to do
- In a nutshell:Pleasant place to spend a day
The Bergpark Wilhelmshoehe is inside the larger Habichtswald (Hawks' Forest). The pathways up to the Oktigon and... more travel advice
The Cental City Park in Kassel is impressive, but if you have a health condition where it may be dangerous for you to... more travel advice
bilgeez's Related Pages
Kassel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ab nach Kassel! (Let's go to Kassel!)"
- "Opera in Kassel"
- "Hercules is watching you"
- "In the middle of... Greece!"
- "Kassel, Hesse, Germany"
- "Kassel & Arolsen"
- "Welcome to KASSEL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kassel
- Hotels in Kassel
- Transportation in Kassel
- Nightlife in Kassel
- Restaurants in Kassel
- Shopping in Kassel
- Warnings and Dangers in Kassel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kassel
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Kassel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kassel
Photos in KasselSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 27 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City Intro, 39 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Tablas Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambutal Intro, 18 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chitré Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Taboga Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Bowmanville Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Kassel hotel reviews
- Best Western Queens Hotel Kassel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Ramada Treff Plaza Hotel Kassel
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Formule 1 Kassel Sud Ost Waldau
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 19, 2013
- Hotel Residenz Domus
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Grand Hotel La Strada
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2012
- Dornroeschenschloss Sababurg
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Prodomo City Hotel Kassel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2012