"Salton Sea Otherworldly" Salton Sea Beach by bilgeez
Salton Sea Beach Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
The Salton sea is a fairly new geological phenomena. It was semi-man-made in 1905 when a dyke broke on the Colorado River and flooded this low-lying salt marsh and turned it into a salt lake. Because not much water runs off into this lake, it has been steadily receeding since it was fully formed in 1907 from evaporation and lack of recharge. Because of this, the salinity level has risen in the lake and no longer supports aquatic life, it is a "dead" sea. So, not a place to go fishing and expect to catch anything! There are several marinas on the lake, however, because of the salinity of the water, I doubt many boat owners would want to sail on such salty seas where salt corrosion would effect most parts of a ship and cause them to wear prematurely.
It is a very peaceful place, very sparsely populated and quiet, almost eirely so. It would be a nice place to go have a nice, quite sunbath or to ride one's bike, there are many paved roads in the area, it is flat, and not much traffic! It appears years ago developers tried to get interest in the area with planned developments that never got very far off the ground. But it appears that now some renewed interest in the area is growing. I would imagine because of its' remoteness and the desire many Americans have for space, that it will become popular again.
If one wants some seclusion and privacy for a picnic or ? This would be a place to go.
- Pros:Quiet, secluded, serene
- Cons:Not much to do in the area, not many shops or restaurants
- In a nutshell:Serene and other-worldly
bilgeez's Related Pages
Salton Sea Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Accidental Sea"
- "Salton Sea Otherworldly"
- "Post Apocalyptic Weirdness"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salton Sea Beach
- Transportation in Salton Sea Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Salton Sea Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salton Sea Beach
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Salton Sea Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salton Sea Beach
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 27 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City Intro, 39 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Tablas Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Odessa Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambutal Intro, 18 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chitré Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Taboga Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Bowmanville Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue