"Avalon on Catalina Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon by bilgeez
Avalon Travel Guide: 130 reviews and 396 photos
Avalon, this is the big city on Catalina Island, the other town, Two Harbors is toward the south-east end Does anybody know, if a road or trail connects the two? I haven't found one.
Avalon is home to the Big Casino. Which is now a museum and restaurant. Also to the north of the town is the Wrigley Gardens placed there by William K Wrigley, the chewing gum magnate.
Avalon is a serene town. Has plenty of touristy shops and places to eat and drink. It's a great day trip if you want to do something a little different. The ferry ride alone is fun. I have a chapter on them in tips pages.
Wrigely Gardens are just above Avalon. One can walk the mile back to the gardens or take the bus or ride a rented bike or golf cart to it.
The gardens have many types of exotic plants and flowers and funnel back to a memorial. This is located on high ground where one can look out over to the Pacific and not see Avalon. It's as if the village doens't exist. There is no fee to enter, but they expect you visit the visitor's centre and make a donation.
Since Avalon is just a tourist town, there used to be a buffalo ranch and there are wild buffalo still on the island. There is no more commercial fishing from the island, one can charter sport fishing boats from the island, and there is no industry save tourism. There are an assortment of shops, restaurants and bars on the island. Most are fairly reasonable in prices. There is a well-stocked supermarket on the island and some folks have come up with ingeneous ways to earn a living there. There are a few folks who offer carriage rides of the Island. It's a leisurely way to see some of the sites and pretend one is back in the 19th century.
- Pros:Nice place to spend a day
- Cons:Wish I could live here!
- In a nutshell:Serene and different place to visit.
Not much beach at Avalon. Some great snorkeling, scuba diving in area. Here is view from beach. more travel advice
Most cost-effective way to travel to Catalina Island is by ferry from Marina Del Rey, Long Beach, Newport Beach or Dana... more travel advice
bilgeez's Related Pages
Avalon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Avalon~Catalina Island"
- ""26 miles across the sea""
- "Kristara's new Avalon Page"
- "Catalina Island"
- "Avalon on Catalina Island"
- "Gypsy_King's new Avalon Page"
- "Alluring Avalon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avalon
- Hotels in Avalon
- Transportation in Avalon
- Nightlife in Avalon
- Restaurants in Avalon
- Shopping in Avalon
- Warnings and Dangers in Avalon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avalon
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Avalon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avalon
Photos in AvalonSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 27 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City Intro, 39 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Tablas Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Odessa Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambutal Intro, 18 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chitré Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Taboga Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Bowmanville Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue