"Chitré Capital of Herrera Province" Chitré by bilgeez
Chitré Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 30 photos
My wife was born and raised in Chitré, we lived there, briefly, in 2007.
It is a small city of about 5,000 on the Northeast corner of the Azuero Peninsula. It is a farming town, the area has cattle, horses, dairy, rice, plantain, banana, pineapple, coconut, mango and other tropical fruit production. There is commercial fishing on the coast near Chitré and the best seafood I have ever eaten, and the cheapest, has been in Chitré!
Chitré is an old town, dating back to the early 18th Century. Nothing much is left from that time. The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist that is in town, was built in the early 1800´s.
The area is growing more popular and local developers are trying to attract more foreign land investors to develop coastal properties for retirement and recreation. The climate is a little cooler and drier than the Panama City area because Chitré tends to get an off-shore breeze most of the time that keeps the heat and humidity down and blows storms to the north and west.
The area has a good infrastructure and is fairly modern and is improving all the time.
Union and Progress. The Cathedral of San Juan Batista is in the upper left quadrant. The famer sowing and the cow on the right for agriculture and the lower, left, industry, of course.
- Pros:Still not overly developed, quiet, rural.
- Cons:Not much to do in area, but it is serene.
- In a nutshell:Ripe for development, as land is still cheap and undiscovered!
About the only real thing going for Hotel Carla is that they do have a very good Chinese restaurant on the premises. To... more travel advice
The Pension Central is a good choice if you have limited funds and the Hotel Rex is a little too high for you. Pension... more travel advice
bilgeez's Related Pages
Chitré Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chitré Capital of Herrera Province"
- "Hanging out in Chitré...."
- "City of Chitre, Panama"
- See All...
- Hotels in Chitré
- Nightlife in Chitré
- Restaurants in Chitré
- Warnings and Dangers in Chitré
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chitré
- 13 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Chitré?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chitré
Photos in ChitréSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 27 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City Intro, 39 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Tablas Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambutal Intro, 18 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chitré Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Taboga Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Bowmanville Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue