"Panama City" Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City by bilgeez
Panamá City Travel Guide: 449 reviews and 1,032 photos
When I moved to Los Buzos, in Los Santos Province near the town of Cambutal, on Nov 20, 2008. I bid farewell to Panama City my home of over 14 months. I had some good times during our stay but I was weary of big city life and when I had the opportunity to move back to the rural provinces, I took it!
There are many things about PC I liked, but the congestion, the traffic, the noise and the pollution were too much to take.
I will trade an idyllic, pastoral ocean front setting over living in a city any day!
I won’t go into the history of Panama City, there are many resources on the Internet and at this website covering that. It was founded in 1519, so I hope I am here for its’ 500th anniversary in nine years.
Panama City contains about 2/3rds of the inhabitants of Panama, so the rest of the country is sparsely populated. It is a very cosmopolitan city and they are working very hard to make it even more attractive to foreigners to invest in and relocate to. The editor of Panama’s daily newspaper, La Prensa, recently wrote an editorial that basically said Panama should strive very hard to attract retiring North American baby boomers here to boost the local economy and give them an economical and safe place to live.
Panama City is growing rapidly. Most of the new skyscrapers going up are high-rise condo apartments that will hopefully be filled with wealthy gringos who want to retire to a maintenance-free lifestyle and will want to explore the provinces.
I heard recently that new car registrations in Panama are up 22% over last year. So the economy is growing and benefiting some people here. Panama, however, is still a very poor country. Close to 40% of the people live in poverty, many hope that soon the economic expansion will trickle down to them.
- Pros:Growing, inviting, exciting, improving
- Cons:Still a third-world country
- In a nutshell:Impressive, needs to solve some issues, however.
Having trouble finding that French wine you can't do without? Miss having a shot of Jim Beam Black Label before dinner?... more travel advice
Flamingo's is located in Hotel El Panama in the Cangrejo district of Panama City. The restraurant is open 24/7, but has... more travel advice
- See All Other Panamanian Traditional Dress
- See All Taxis in Panama City
bilgeez's Related Pages
Panamá City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's Carnaval time"
- "Panama City"
- "Panama City"
- "LA CIUDAD DE PANAMA"
- "Panama City - a city of contrasts"
- "KUNA INDIANS ON AVENIDA CENTRAL"
- "PANAMA CITY - COUNTERPOINTS IN THE TROPICS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Panamá City
- Hotels in Panamá City
- Transportation in Panamá City
- Nightlife in Panamá City
- Restaurants in Panamá City
- Shopping in Panamá City
- Warnings and Dangers in Panamá City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Panamá City
- 39 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 25 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Panamá City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panamá City
Photos in Panamá CitySee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 27 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City Intro, 39 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Tablas Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Odessa Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambutal Intro, 18 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chitré Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Taboga Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Bowmanville Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue