"Panama City" Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City by bilgeez

Panamá City Travel Guide: 449 reviews and 1,032 photos

Adios, Panama City!

When I moved to Los Buzos, in Los Santos Province near the town of Cambutal, on Nov 20, 2008. I bid farewell to Panama City my home of over 14 months. I had some good times during our stay but I was weary of big city life and when I had the opportunity to move back to the rural provinces, I took it!
There are many things about PC I liked, but the congestion, the traffic, the noise and the pollution were too much to take.
I will trade an idyllic, pastoral ocean front setting over living in a city any day!
I won’t go into the history of Panama City, there are many resources on the Internet and at this website covering that. It was founded in 1519, so I hope I am here for its’ 500th anniversary in nine years.
Panama City contains about 2/3rds of the inhabitants of Panama, so the rest of the country is sparsely populated. It is a very cosmopolitan city and they are working very hard to make it even more attractive to foreigners to invest in and relocate to. The editor of Panama’s daily newspaper, La Prensa, recently wrote an editorial that basically said Panama should strive very hard to attract retiring North American baby boomers here to boost the local economy and give them an economical and safe place to live.
Panama City is growing rapidly. Most of the new skyscrapers going up are high-rise condo apartments that will hopefully be filled with wealthy gringos who want to retire to a maintenance-free lifestyle and will want to explore the provinces.
I heard recently that new car registrations in Panama are up 22% over last year. So the economy is growing and benefiting some people here. Panama, however, is still a very poor country. Close to 40% of the people live in poverty, many hope that soon the economic expansion will trickle down to them.

• Pros:Growing, inviting, exciting, improving
  • Cons:Still a third-world country
  • In a nutshell:Impressive, needs to solve some issues, however.
  • Last visit to Panamá City: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2010

• Nov 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM

This place was REAL-ly disappointing. Overpriced drinks for PC. Lame 80's-90's music was too loud to talk over and I went deaf. Unimpressive beer/ liquor selection was neither local nor British. I was bored to tears.

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2009 at 5:48 AM

Great tips, I hope to visit Panama one day! The local customs tips are very interesting, and the driving habits of the Panamians sound just like the Dominicans' :) greetings from Bulgaria

• Tableaux1's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Great tips. I hope to visit Panama some day!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2008 at 4:30 AM

Happy Birthday Bill! Have a great one! Interesting page about your new home.

• CaribNomad's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 7:45 AM

Hi Bill! Great insight! I will be 2. time in Panama City in March 08, and hope to learn better understand this country. Still quite contradictive to me! Have a great time! Vern

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2008 at 8:25 PM

I agree with bilgeez on Lenos. When I was in Colombia shopping malls Lenos has great steak for around $ 10-Black angus baby Beef, great beef for just $ 10 .

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Enjoyable page Bill....as usual :o) Those beads in the costumes look beautiful! ....and the Fiestas and beer all sound great!! Cheers, Ann :o)

bilgeez Used To Live Here!

bilgeez

“Go where the wind blows you!”

Badges & Stats in Panamá City

Have you been to Panamá City?

Latest Activity in Panamá City