Isla Taboga Things to Do Tips by bilgeez Top 5 Page for this destination
Isla Taboga Things to Do: 5 reviews and 12 photos
The beaches on Taboga are not large or dramatic, in any sense, and nearly non-existant at high tide! But the locals come to get away from the dank, dreary, drab life in Panama City and have a little fun in the sun.
You can rent a beach umbrella for $5 for the day or a picnic table for the same.
There is a fruit stand on the passageway to the beach, but it is expensive!
There is also a restaurant near the entrance that specializes in Chinese food, that is OK, and cheap! They also sell beer and liquor there for slightly higher prices than the mainland.
There are also showers and rest rooms there, but they charge 50 cents to use them.
Directions: Turn right from the dock and to the the gates of the old hotel and turn right and go down a passageway to the beach.
The Impressionist artist, Paul Gaugin, lived on Taboga for three months in the summer of 1887. Had he been able to scrape together the money to buy a place on the Island, he may never have gone to Tahiti, because he liked it here. He worked on the Panama Canal for a few months to get the money to buy some property on Taboga, but when he came back, he found the prices had increased dramatically. Dejected, he left Taboga and Panama, and headed to the South Seas, and the rest, they say, is history. Imagine what would have happened had Gaugin been able to afford to stay here? The town is restoring the building where he stayed for that brief amount of time. There is also a memorial to him there and a copy of one of his Tahiti-inspired paintings across the street on a wall.
Address: In town.
Directions: Go south from the dock a couple of blocks and you will find the monument and the building they are restoring.
More Reviews (3)
bilgeez's Related Pages
Isla Taboga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Day Trip From Panama City"
- "TABOGA HOUSE RENTAL "TRES TERRAZAS""
- "Slice of Paradise"
- "Peaceful and relaxing beaches"
- "Tobago Island Ceritto tropical"
- "Beautiful Escape from Panama City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Taboga
- Hotels in Isla Taboga
- Transportation in Isla Taboga
- Restaurants in Isla Taboga
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kalunel Ulpotha Hotels
- Castiglioncello Hotels
- Mgarr Hotels
- Loch Leathan Hotels
- Batu Feringgi
- Wijk aan Zee
- Kaliningradskaya Oblast'
Badges & Stats in Isla Taboga
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Isla Taboga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Taboga
Photos in Isla TabogaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 27 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City Intro, 39 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Tablas Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambutal Intro, 18 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chitré Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Taboga Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Bowmanville Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue