"Welcome to Canada's newest frontier" Kugluktuk by Steelkite
Kugluktuk Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos
Welcome to Nunavut - Canada's newest and third territory strattling the central and eastern arctic region of North America. Comprising about 1/5th of the nation's land mass, Nunavut has only 30,000 persons spread amongst 25 remote communities. There are no roads between communities or to southern Canada. There are no trees and the winter lasts for 9 months long! I moved up here 2.5 years ago from British Columbia and really enjoy the lifestyle and tranquility and I can't complain about the good job and the travel benefits it brings. If you are going to visit Nunavut then you need a lot of money for either the flight up from southern Canada or you can take a cruise ship to the various communities in the summer time.
I reside in the community of Kugluktuk (formerly known as Coppermine) which is about 600 km. north of Yellowknife along the Arctic Ocean. The population is about 1500 persons and slowly growing.
- Pros:sense of newness, sense of adventure living in a frontier, friendly people, unique environment/culture
- Cons:expensive to live/travel, cabin fever, cold winter, mosquitos in the summer, rotten food
- In a nutshell:Mad Max in a polar world
Steelkite's Related Pages
Kugluktuk Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kugluktuk
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Kugluktuk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kugluktuk
- Posted in Travel South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Forum "RE: Sandwich Islands"
- created a Kugluktuk Travel Page "Welcome to Canada's newest frontier"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Welcome to Canada's newest frontier"
Top 5 Pages
- Tuktoyaktuk Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Christmas Island Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- China Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- South Africa Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Oman Intro, 1 review, 2 photos