"Cobalt - The Town that Silver Built" Cobalt by MarieGutscher
Cobalt Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
The Historic Cobalt Mining Camp
The ‘silver mining boom’ in cobalt from 1903 to the late 1920’s was a tremendously important and exhilarating time. Veins of highgrade silver were found in Cobalt and the rush was on. Miners from around the world flocked to the remote bush camp to work the richest known vein of silver in the world and to lay the foundation for what was to become Canada’s hard rock mining industry.
After the silver was mined out and shipped to Toronto - Cobalt was forgotten about. This is the norm for mining towns - however our town has not become a ghost town. We've a small population of 1500 now...but we're working hard to keep the place alive.
Notice the headframe on the left side of the picture? WE have lots of them! So - if you've ever wanted to see one...come on up!!
MarieGutscher's Related Pages
Cobalt Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cobalt
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Cobalt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cobalt
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Salisbury Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Scotland Intro, 1 review, 4 photos, 3 travelogues
- Fort Erie Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Portugal Intro, 3 photos
- Berchtesgaden Intro, 3 photos
- Loch Lomond Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
No friends yet.