"Moreton-In-Marsh - Quaint Little England Town" Moreton in the Marsh by clws
Moreton in the Marsh Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 46 photos
Moreton-In-Marsh has beautiful streets and buildings that are well worth a stroll up and down. Boasting hotels, shops, pubs, and restaurants as well as other local businesses.
The buildings along the high street are mainly of the local golden limestone, some date back to the 17th and 18th centuries. The White Hart Royal a 17th century coaching inn, is an interesting building where King Charles I stayed in 1644. Today there are claims that it is haunted by a ghostly male figure. At the end of the High Street is the lovely 16th century Manor House, now an Hotel.
The Curfew tower on the corner of High Street and Oxford Street, dates from the 17th century and retains the original bell dated 1633. This bell was in use daily until 1860, and used in later years in times of emergency for the fire brigade.
Centrally situated in the High Street is the Market Hall, which dates from the mid 19th century and is known as the Redesdale Hall, named after the Redesdale family of Batsford House who were benefactors to the town. The Church dedicated to St. David, was re-built in 1859 and replaces a smaller church from the 13th century.
Moreton is the home of the well known agricultural show of the same name, which is Gloucestershire's county show, held annually on the 1st Saturday in September.
Moreton-In-Marsh has one of the earliest railway stations in the country. The Moreton to Stratford tramway opened in 1826, and the London-Oxford-Worcester main line followed in 1853.
Every Tuesday Moreton-In-Marsh has a Market Day. The vendors start setting up the night before for a day of selling... more travel advice
Ask Restaurant has a nice variety of Italian food as wall as an assortment of pizzas'. The service here was excellent.... more travel advice
clws' Related Pages
Moreton in the Marsh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to the heart of the Cotswolds"
- "On the Roman Fosse Way....."
- "Moreton-In-Marsh - Quaint Little England Town"
- "Moreton-in-Marsh, Cotswolds on the Train Line"
- "Moreton-in-Marsh, Cotswolds, UK"
- "moreton in the marsh 12/03/12 & 07/04/12"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moreton in the Marsh
- Hotels in Moreton in the Marsh
- Transportation in Moreton in the Marsh
- Restaurants in Moreton in the Marsh
- Shopping in Moreton in the Marsh
- Warnings and Dangers in Moreton in the Marsh
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Moreton in the Marsh
- 9 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Moreton in the Marsh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moreton in the Marsh
Photos in Moreton in the MarshSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dhahran Intro, 37 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 36 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blarney Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos
- Saudi Arabia Intro, 31 reviews, 17 photos
- Kauai Intro, 19 reviews, 16 photos
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Woodstock Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Jazirat Hawar Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Moreton in the Marsh Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Ras Tanura Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Latest Moreton in the Marsh hotel reviews
- Redesdale Arms Hotel
- 518 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013