"Hull: Reclaiming the city, reclaiming the sea..." Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull by Orbital_
Kingston upon Hull Travel Guide: 292 reviews and 492 photos
Hull is a changing city. Thanks to heavy bombing in WWII, frankly awful subsequent town planning and the decline of the fishing industry the city was in a pretty sorry state up until the 1990's.
Finally regional development money started trickling through, city planners got their act together whilst commerce and government clicked that they had shockingly under-resourced area right under their noses. Battling against the stigma of a truly awful reputation (think the UK's perceived version of Detroit) the positive public/private partnership redevelopments and self-belief has taken a while to get going but now I can confidently say that Hull in the grand scheme of things is becoming a pretty decent city, and a afternoon or a couple of days here really isn't as grim a prospect as you may have once thought.
- Pros:The Deep, KC Stadium, Humber Bridge, pace of redevelopment, cost of living
- Cons:Local accent, embarrasing state of rail/bus station, insular mentality of some locals
- In a nutshell:This is a city to watch - remember when Bilbao was a just backwater...
Will Queen Victoria ever feel like Times Sqaure? Hardly. Ah yes, Hull City Council in their infinite wisdom, in what... more travel advice
I'll be truly honest here and say that you won't really want to spend day after day in Hull unless you live or work... more travel advice
- See All May Sum
- The Lamp - proving that Hull can do...
- The wind-tunnel effect
- Princes Quay Shopping Centre
Orbital_'s Related Pages
Kingston upon Hull Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "England's European gateway"
- "King's Town upon the River Hull"
- "Hull: Reclaiming the city, reclaiming the sea..."
- "A Journey into the Unknown!"
- "For the third time of visiting"
- "Yet rebirthing, very worthy UK location!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kingston upon Hull
- Hotels in Kingston upon Hull
- Transportation in Kingston upon Hull
- Nightlife in Kingston upon Hull
- Restaurants in Kingston upon Hull
- Shopping in Kingston upon Hull
- Warnings and Dangers in Kingston upon Hull
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kingston upon Hull
- 25 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Kingston upon Hull?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kingston upon Hull
- Posted in Travel Dubrovnik Forum "Re: Staying in Dubrovnik, but..."
- Commented on one of northeast80's Kingston upon Hull travel pages
- updated a Kingston upon Hull Travel Page "Hull: Reclaiming the city, reclaiming the sea..."
- Wrote a Review May Sum in Kingston upon Hull Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hull: Reclaiming the city, reclaiming the sea..."
Photos in Kingston upon HullSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 25 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 25 reviews, 12 photos
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Krakow Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Turkey Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- York Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Göteborg Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Latest Kingston upon Hull hotel reviews
- Stop Inn Hull
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Premier Inn Hull City Centre
- 411 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Express By Holiday Inn Hull
- 265 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Royal Hotel Hull
- 362 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Campanile Hull
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Holiday Inn Hull Marina
- 338 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Clyde House Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Kingston Theatre Hotel
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013