"Banff National Park" Banff National Park by JanPeter74
Banff National Park Travel Guide: 791 reviews and 1,544 photos
Banff National Park is located in Alberta and is the most famous, and most visited of the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks. It forms a unity with Jasper National Park that lies north of Banff NP and the smaller parks Yoho and Kootenay that both lie to the west in British Columbia. This area is filled with mountains, glaciers, forests, lakes and everything else that you can think of when thinking of Canada.
The park lies just a few hours drive west of Calgary and has two major townsites: Banff townsite and Lake Louise, which lies some 50 kilometres north of Banff townsite. North of Lake Louise starts the Icefields Parkway, one of the most, if not THE most scenic, roads in the world. This route leads into adjacent Jasper NP all the way to Jasper townsite.
The most popular drive (take a couple of days for this) is to enter Banff NP in the south, pass Banff, Lake Louise, and take the Icefields Parkway into Jasper. Once you have reached Jasper townsite, you take the road to the west and drive west out of the park into British Columbia (passing Mount Robson Provincial Park, which is also one of the highlights of a trip to Canada. See for tips my British Columbia page).
Of course this trip can also be done the other way around. In that case, the views on the Icefields Parkway are perhaps even more spectacular.
Check my tips for all the highlights that can be found in this park. Click here for a map of Banff NP. This is the same map you receive when entering the park. Nice to know: You pay an entrance fee for the entire area (all four parks) at once. They just ask you how many days you plan to stay in the area and give you a ticket for this period.
Number 1 spot in this park: Moraine Lake.
Between Banff townsite and Lake Louise you can either take the highway or the older "Bow Valley Parkway". Along this Bow... more travel advice
The most famous glacier of the Canadian Rockies. Very touristy but nevertheless great. The Athabasca Glacier lies just... more travel advice
JanPeter74's Related Pages
Banff National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "under re construction please come back"
- "The Canadian Rockies"
- "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- "Banff National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banff National Park
- Hotels in Banff National Park
- Transportation in Banff National Park
- Nightlife in Banff National Park
- Restaurants in Banff National Park
- Shopping in Banff National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banff National Park
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Banff National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff National Park
Photos in Banff National ParkSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Egypt Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 20 reviews, 55 photos
- Scotland Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Bali Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lake District National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Banff National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos