"Yellowstone Park - Just go there!" Yellowstone National Park by JanPeter74
Yellowstone National Park Travel Guide: 1,096 reviews and 3,421 photos
If you ever, ever get the chance to go to Yellowstone National Park, take it with both hands. Without a doubt this is one of the greatest places I have ever seen. We made a 3000 km detour just to visit this park and even then it was all worth it! One tip before all, take at least two days time to visit this park. One day simply isn't enough to even see only the most important highlights. So plan an extra night here (or two, like we did).
However if you have to choose between some of the geothermal areas, make sure to visit Midway Geyser Basin for its fantastic, one of a kind Grand Prismatic Spring (take 1 hour for a visit) and of course Upper Geyser Basin (Old Faithful Area), which is the main geyser area.
Where to start when describing this park (the first National Park of the USA; 1872).
Just to mention some keywords: Geysers, hot mineral springs, pools, mud vulcanos, forests, mountains, rivers, falls and an enormous amount of wildlife such as buffalos (bison), bears, elk, moose (if you are extremely lucky), wolves, deer, etc.
Most famous are the geothermal features such as geysers and mineral springs. This park is home to 80% of all geothermal activity in the world.
There are not many roads in the park. To be precise; the roadsystem consists of two circles that are connected in the middle, creating a shape of the figure 8. In the north, northeast, west and south, roads lead from this 8 to the park boundaries.
Locations of the most important places:
Mammoth Hot Springs - Upper left corner of the 8.
Old Faithful Geyser and visitor centre - left side of the lower circle.
(almost) all geyser and pool areas are located on the left side of the 8.
Yellowstone Canyon and Falls - Middle right side of the 8, close to where the two circles join.
Hayden Valley; great views and most wildlife - right side of the lower circle.
Bear in mind that you absolutely need a car to visit everything within this park.
Click here for the official site of Yellowstone National Park, but not before you had a look at my tips of course.
For a really good downloadable (PDF) park map click here.
Due to its size, the pictures hardly give you an idea what Grand Prismatic Spring really looks like. Therefore, I added... more travel advice
Apart from the geysers, the Old Faithful area is also famous for another thing: Morning Glory Pool. Morning Glory Pool... more travel advice
JanPeter74's Related Pages
Yellowstone National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yellowstone National Park, My Neighbor"
- "Incredible Yellowstone National Park"
- "Yellowstone National Park was fantastic"
- "Yellowstone National Park"
- "Yellowstone: Hot springs and shifting landscapes"
- "Yellowstone!.... a dream come true!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yellowstone National Park
- Hotels in Yellowstone National Park
- Transportation in Yellowstone National Park
- Nightlife in Yellowstone National Park
- Restaurants in Yellowstone National Park
- Shopping in Yellowstone National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yellowstone National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Yellowstone National Park
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Yellowstone National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yellowstone National Park
- Posted in Travel Tuscany Forum "Sandy family beach(es) in the..."
- Commented on one of assmon's Yellowstone National Park travel pages
- updated a Yellowstone National Park Travel Page "Yellowstone Park - Just go there!"
- Wrote a Review Grand Prismatic Spring - Aerial view about Geysers/hot springs in Yellowstone National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Grand Prismatic Spring - Aerial view"
Photos in Yellowstone National ParkSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Egypt Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 20 reviews, 55 photos
- Scotland Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Bali Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lake District National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Banff National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Latest Yellowstone National Park hotel reviews
- Grant Village Lodge
- 302 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 16, 2013
- Fishing Bridge RV Park
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 20, 2013
- Madison Campground
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 1, 2013
- Canyon Lodge and Cabins
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 2, 2013
- Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
- 909 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Dunraven Lodge
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 25, 2013
- Grant Village Campground
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Canyon Village Campground
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 13, 2013
- Lake Lodge Cabins
- 285 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 2, 2013
- Lake Yellowstone Hotel
- 664 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Cascade Lodge
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 10, 2013
- Norris Campground
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2012
- Slough Creek Campground
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2012
- Old Faithful Lodge Cabins
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Lewis Lake Campground
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 6, 2012