"Lake District" Lake District National Park by JanPeter74

Lake District National Park Travel Guide: 489 reviews and 1,317 photos

Wet and Green

The English Lake District lies in northwest England. On the English westcoast north of Wales and a little to the south of the Scottish border.

The landscape of this area is green and rather rough. It reminded me a bit of Wales. As for the weather we were rather lucky. Especially since the Lake District has the reputation of being one of the wettest places in England. Of course the area is famous for its lakes. Despite the fact that lake Windermere is best known, my personal favourite is Derwent Water near Keswick.

The area is great for walking and hiking, as well as watersports. I must say that, when it comes to nature, this area is one of the best I visited in England. (Apart from the English coastlines).

Apart from the city of Carlisle in the north of the Lake District (outside the borders of the Lake District National Park), hardly any significant towns can be found. Most important are Penrith (just northeast of the National Park), Keswick, Windermere and Kendall.

On our way from Newcastle to the Lake District we also visited Hadrian's Wall, on which I included some tips as well at the end of my Must See activities list.

• Last visit to Lake District National Park: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2004

• Feb 20, 2007 at 1:11 AM

One of main attraction in the UK indeed!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2006 at 2:38 PM

Nice to see you have included outlying posts such as Furness Abbey and Levens Hall. Not so many people get here..........

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 6:01 AM

Gr8 write-up on Derwent.. I agree with u. Where's the info on Hadrian's wall?? I wanted to see it, but was stopped(!) by my fellow travellers! D

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2006 at 7:39 AM

happens i just love old ruins. have you had the chance to drop down to tintern abbey yet? i didn't know about about this one. your photos of the lakes are very pleasing. gracias

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2006 at 7:30 AM

Wonderful photos and comments. I am so eager to visit this area (home to my Thompson ancestors). Thanks.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2005 at 2:20 AM

Interesting tips with some evocative photos. Back for another visit, still love your pics.

• Anjutka's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 3:30 AM

I never thought it was such a beautiful area! Thanks for sharing.

• fashionapple's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2005 at 11:37 PM

Thanks for sharing wonderful tips n pics from your Lake District page. This is one of place i really wanna visit durin my trip to UK in future. Happy Travels :0)

• grishaV1's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2004 at 6:48 AM

id heard the lake district was beautiful, but your fotos are really amazing. would love to visit this nice nature and history place one day

• mariev's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2004 at 11:25 AM

Really nice pictures. Thanks : you just gave me an idea for a next trip

JanPeter74

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy planning just another trip!”

Badges & Stats in Lake District National Park

Have you been to Lake District National Park?

Latest Activity in Lake District National Park