"Corsica" Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica by JanPeter74
Corsica Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 1,138 photos
Being a French Island, Corsica feels a bit like a country on itself. It is easy to spend a few weeks holiday on this great island, which is some 200 kilometres long and 85 kilometres wide. It is the greenest island of the Mediterranean with a wide variety of different landscapes. The center of the island is very mountainous, the eastcoast rather flat with great beaches for sunlovers, whereas the westcoast is very rugged with fantastic scenery, such as bays, idyllic beaches and the like.
The island has two significant cities, Ajaccio (the capital) in the west and Bastia in the northeast. Most people coming by ferry from mainland Europe arrive at Bastia. Next to these two there are 5 major (but small) tourist towns. Calvi in the northwest, Corte in the centre, Bonifacio in the extreme south, Porto in the west and Porto Vecchio in the east. Although a car is needed if you want to reach all great areas of Corsica, the island is also a very nice holiday destination if you like hiking with lots of trails along the coast and in the mountains. As a result, Corsica is a perfect destination if you want to combine active hiking with lazy afternoons on one of the beaches.
The past 200 years Corsica has been French. Before that Corsica has been part of the Genua (and a shorter period Pisa) empire. As a result, especially the northeastern part of Corsica has a somewhat Italian atmosphere. Apart from these foreign influences, Corsica has a very nationalistic attitude and many Corsicans still want Corsica to become an independent state. Road signs are bilingual in both French and Corsican and many of them contain bullet holes or black paint in the French part. Next to these foreign influences, Corsican history dates back some 7,000 years with lots of prehistoric monuments such as dolmen and standing stones.
Pay attention to the fact that it generally takes quite some time to go from one place to another.
Lots of hiking trails exist to discover the beauty of the Calanches. Most start at the north exit of Piana. However, the... more travel advice
From the top of the cliffs a 187 steps stair leads down to the water. The story goes that it was built in 1 night by the... more travel advice
JanPeter74's Related Pages
Corsica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The mountains of Corsica"
- "Beautiful Corsica"
- "Corsica, "The Mountain in the Sea""
- "Wild - romantic Corsica"
- "Trekking in Corsica"
- "La Corse - L'île de Beauté"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corsica
- Hotels in Corsica
- Transportation in Corsica
- Nightlife in Corsica
- Restaurants in Corsica
- Shopping in Corsica
- Warnings and Dangers in Corsica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corsica
- 20 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Corsica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corsica
Top 10 Pages
- Egypt Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 20 reviews, 55 photos
- Scotland Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Bali Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lake District National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Banff National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos