"Mabalingwe Game Reserve" Johannesburg by traveltemptress

Johannesburg Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos

The Bush

The morning following the Sun City stint, we somehow managed to rise at a reasonable hour and drag outselves to Michelangelo's for Eggs Benedict. Oh yes, and Champagne too ;-) It was completely delightful: The food, the bubbles, the setting (in the garden) - a real treat. A good thing we enjoyed it 'cause we ran up a bill of RAW70!!!! At breakfast!!! This price is steep anywhere, but extortionate by South African standards!

Anyway, after that we hit the road.(Dave - Mike's brother - was driving, so no Champoo for him;-) We were heading for Mabaligwe, a game reserve. The trip was in aid of a surprise party for Mike's Mom's 60th birthday, and it was a really special celebration, but more about that soon...

On arrival, we drank beer and ate bilton by the pool. After we had packed away the many provisions (heaps of food, virtually a whole bottle shop and pressies) we had brought with for the coming few days.

The afternoon was spent around the lodge which looked out onto the vast bush. Soooo relaxing, peaceful and still. Just wonderful.

That evening, I experienced my first Brai - delish! It was a 'bring & brai' held at the game reserve. Boy, did I put some meat away!!

Here's the proof...!

Early next morning, we went on a game drive - a great experience, but bloody FREEZING! No seriously, I had never done anything remotely similar before and thought it was an amzing experience. Mike, on the other hand, has been on many a game drive and thought it was a little disappointing. Still, we saw giraffe, kudo, empala (aka bush Maccy D's due to the M markings on the hinds and the fact that there's one around every corner), rhino zebra - my favourite, monkeys and warthog.

Breakfast and sunbathing worked up an appetite for lunch - fantastic tiger prawns and amazing veg salad, and the token shedload of wine. (C'mon we're here to party!)

The Celebration

A fantastic celebration that evening proved that the Haupt's really do know how to party. Mike's other brother, Rob, did a fire display for us all, Dave read a beautiful poem that made everyone cry and of course, we ate and drank, and were generally merry. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever eaten or drank so much in 24 hours, and that's saying something!

Of course, there's always a price to pay. What do they say (whoever 'they are')? "There's no such thing as a hangover free dinner". Thus my horrendous monster carried through the flight to Cape Town, right the way through to dinner.

• Last visit to Johannesburg: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 4, 2004

Johannesburg Travel Guide

traveltemptress

“'Home' is a nice place to visit.”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Johannesburg

Have you been to Johannesburg?

Latest Activity in Johannesburg