"We just happened upon Hyder" Hyder by arkryger
Hyder Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 72 photos
After our last Parent's Week-end at USAFA where our daughter goes-my husband and i decided to just go up into Canada-had a few weeks off-saw many beautiful sites-and then one afternoon-looking at the map-I found a road that would take us right over the lower border and into Alaska-didn't have enough time to see and explore any other part by ferry-so we headed by glaciers,talked with a very old knowledgable info station man out of his cabin-and made it there before dusk. He said if we were lucky, the bears were in for the salmon at the Ranger lookout there.
We explored the town of Stewart ,B.C.and found a hotel and then on we proceded to cross over into Hyder, Alaska and on down the road to find the Bears-WOW-all sizes-esp loved the little one crossing the road-and they were all in the water under the bridge catching their dinner. We stood on the bridge in the misty ev. and took lots of pics and couldn't believe our eyes and excitement seeing them there so close to us. The Rangers kept it safe and made sure the bears crossed the road and went in the water under the bridge we stood on. By dark we were ready to find a good dinner in town!
After a good night at the King Edward Hotel in Stewart and a wonderful Salmon dinner at a little restaurant nearby-will give details later-early morn-little rainy mist again-we headed back for another look at the bears-this time the Eagle was perched up above waiting for his chance too. A little shopping,mailing of postcards, and we began our journey back across B.C heading towards Wash. State approaching Sept. 11-a day we will all remember where we were ~~~
- Pros:Go in Sept. and have great fun with the bears
- Cons:Food and Sleep right over the border in Stewart-not bad
- In a nutshell:An isolated sleepy town you think from the 60's-one way in and out!
The drive into Stewart and Hyder is fantastic-like being in another world! The glaciers and Mt. views are beautiful. more travel advice
Of course the Bears are what visitors come for-when they're running the Salmon-we were there in Sept. Many bald eagles... more travel advice
arkryger's Related Pages
Hyder Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hyder - BEARS fishing"
- "We just happened upon Hyder"
- "A taste of Alaska"
- "MRojahn's new Hyder Page"
- "Stewart / Hyder"
- "Hyder...."the end of the world""
- "Bears fishing"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hyder
- Hotels in Hyder
- Nightlife in Hyder
- Restaurants in Hyder
- Warnings and Dangers in Hyder
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hyder
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Hyder?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hyder
Photos in HyderSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Venice Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Hyder Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Killarney Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Forsyth Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Lakenheath Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Moscow Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Dublin Intro, 1 review, 4 photos