"Santa Clara -- The Mission City" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Clara by Sonador3

Santa Clara Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 51 photos

My Home Town

How do explain this city? It's not like I live in some cool place like Madrid or Sydney. I live in Santa Clara, California. The Heart of Silicon Valley. In the middle of surburbia, USA, surounded by strip malls, soul-less high tech companies, and seemingly devoid of any culture at all. But the fact is, as much as I like to joke about Santa Clara, it's not a bad place to live. In fact, most time it's an excellent place to live. If you can get past the El Camino Real and the traffic of the 101 freeway, you'll find some cool museums, pretty decent restaurants, and for the tech-heads on VT, this place is nerdvana!

Much has changed in Santa Clara Valley over the past 38 years that my family has lived here. Where there used to be orchards there are now strip malls. And where there was once a landfill, now there is Paramount's Great America theme park. But still, it's home and it suits me fine.

Orchards for Chips

A little Santa Clara history: Spanish Priests and Soldiers, and American Settlers form the historic past of the city. Mission Santa Clara de Asis, the eighth of California's 21 missions, was built here in 1777. During the 19th century and first half of the 20th century, the area experienced tremendous agricultural growth. And as I mentioned, during the 50s and 60s we saw those orchards and farms bulldozed over to make way for what was to become Silicon Valley. Chances are most of the components in your computer were designed and/or manufactured here. Intel, HP, National Semiconductor, 3Com, Sun, Nortel, ATI, nVidia, Roxio, Hitachi, and on and on.

Movin' to California

When I was 2, my parents sold the house in Maryland, slung cryin' ass into the back seat of this here beauty on the left, and moved to California, landing right here in Silicon Valley. Yeah boy, if it hadn't totally rusted through the frame, this baby here would be my ride. We moved into an Eichler and have lived in this area ever since.

• Pros:low crime, relatively quiet neighborhoods
  • Cons:little culture...it's longer than a bus ride to Florence
  • In a nutshell:Family & Friends
  • Intro Updated Apr 5, 2004

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Great tips!

• evona's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2006 at 4:07 AM

Nice page. Thanks for sharing :)

• nomada's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 4:57 AM

A pretty cool place to live !

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2005 at 8:23 AM

Nice little place. Well done! Cheers, Vesna

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2005 at 6:59 AM

good page on your hometown - I enjoyed it. Heading to california in a couple of months

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2005 at 10:49 AM

Is it always such great weather here? I wish you great time in Helsinki and thanks for visiting my page.

• Mar 9, 2005 at 3:26 PM

It's great to see this church being recognized as a tourist site. This is the parish I belong to, and every week we see a lot of "pilgrims" or visitors that stop by, and that is wonderful!

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2005 at 10:02 AM

Great page on your hometown. Love the statue of Mary. Your directions brought back memories of living in California. I miss making the U-turns, as it is illegal in Memphis. ~Elaine~

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2004 at 9:37 PM

Great museum info and pics!

• Sandi-2004's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2004 at 12:16 AM

Delightfully surprised to see Santa Clara written about on VT. You did a very good job of it. Lived in Cupertino in the '80's & worked in SC. You might enjoy my Homepage on CA as a "STATE OF MIND."

Sonador3

“fight for those who can't”

Badges & Stats in Santa Clara

Have you been to Santa Clara?

Latest Activity in Santa Clara