"Clean your shoes, Sir?" Top 5 Page for this destination Dali by Ines28
Dali Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 736 photos
Dali is not as cozy as Lijiang, but still a very nice place for shopping, eating, relaxing and watching people. There are many cute and cheap guesthouses, the food is not too expensive either and the surrounding mountains ensure a pleasant scenery. The only thing that bothered us a little bit were the street vendors. We met one guy who absolutely wanted to clean our shoes and followed us for about 300 m, the next day we met him again and he even sat down at our table when we stopped at a street cafe. Every few minutes he asked "Clean shoes?" I know we could have put an end to it easily by just letting him clean our shoes, but he was so insistent that it became a question of principle. Also the old women selling some kind of dough thing can be quite pushing, one simple "No" does not suffice, you have to say it at least 15 times before they are willing to leave you alone. Apart from this, we enjoyed our stay in Dali very much, it is just so relaxing!
One thing we did not understand at the beginning was the permanent playing of "Happy birthday to you". We did not know where it came from, until we discovered it was the dustcart informing the people it was coming by, so that they could dispose of their garbage! After a certain time it was impossible to get the song out of our heads, we even still heard it up here at the Cangshan Temple after two hours horse riding!
- Pros:good and inexpensive food and accomodation
- Cons:street vendors
- In a nutshell:Shopping paradise in beautiful scenery
Dali is a good place for souvenir shopping of all kind. Especially famous is the Dali marble. Lots of shops sell... more travel advice
Not everyone would consider this as sports, but for someone as unfit as we are... It took us two hours until we reached... more travel advice
Ines28's Related Pages
Dali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old Dali"
- "A great surprise"
- "Mountains, Lake, and Buddhist Monasteries"
- "Dali Old Town and The Three Pagodas"
- "Clean your shoes, Sir?"
- "Dali, Yunnan"
- "Live life in Dali"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dali
- Hotels in Dali
- Transportation in Dali
- Nightlife in Dali
- Restaurants in Dali
- Shopping in Dali
- Warnings and Dangers in Dali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dali
- 7 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Dali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dali
Photos in DaliSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 33 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockport Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Penang Intro, 19 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima Intro, 18 reviews, 15 photos
- Lijiang Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hunstanton Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matsuyama Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos