"Andaman & Nicober Island: A Paradise on Earth!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands by goutammitra
Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travel Guide: 238 reviews and 844 photos
Finally, I was there in Paradise but only for a brief period. May be God wanted me to go back to hell again and do some penance! May be then He will send me back there for a longer period.
I took the Jet Light flight on Monday ( 10th August) morning and by 11.30 AM I was there. The flight from Calcutta ( Kolkata) takes exactly two hours over Bay of Bengal. I checked into Fortune Bay Resort, surely the best hotel in the Island, with all modern facilities and situated at fantastic location on the Marine Hills, facing North Bay( See hotel picture).
Now the Island is very well connected by Air and Sea, with Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai by Air and with Kolkata and Chennai by Sea. There are several flight operated by all Airlines daily due to influx of tourist. I noticed, most of the foreign tourist prefer and visit to Havelock Island only either for relaxing or for Scuba diving. But the city of Port Blair and Andaman has much more to offer.
For all Indians, the place Andaman is a highly revered place as The British Rulers kept the Freedom Fighters of India in Cellular Jail, tortured them, starved them, and finally hanged them. The Govt of India has converted the Jail a National Monument and opened it for the tourists.
Andaman & Nicobar Island is Union Terrytory of India.The territory is located in the Indian Ocean, and geographically is considered part of Southeast Asia. It comprises two island groups, the Andaman Islands and the Nicobar Islands, separated by the 10░ N parallel, with the Andamans to the north of this latitude, and the Nicobars to the south. The Andaman Sea lies to the east and the Bay of Bengal to the west.
The territory's capital is the Andamanese town of Port Blair. The territory's population as per the most recent (2001) Census of India was 356,152. But the current population is about 400,000. Added together, the total land area of the territory is approximately 6,496 km▓ or 2,508 sq mi.
The Andaman and Nicobar islands have been inhabited for several thousand years, at the very least. The earliest archaeological evidence yet documented goes back some several thousand years; however, the indications from genetic, cultural and linguistic isolation studies point to habitation going back 30,000 to 60,000 years, well into the Middle Paleolithic.( Source: Weikipedia& Anthropological Museum , Port Blair).
In the Andaman Islands, the various Andamanese peoples maintained their separated existence through the vast majority of this time, diversifying into distinct linguistic, cultural and territorial groups. By the 1850s when they first came into sustained contact by outside groups, the indigenous peoples of the Andamans were:
the Great Andamanese, who collectively represented at least 10 distinct sub-groups and languages;
the Jangil (or Rutland Jarawa);
the Onge; and
the Sentinelese (most isolated of all the groups).
In total, these peoples numbered somewhere around 7,000 at the time of these first encounters. As the numbers of settlers from the mainland increased (at first mostly prisoners and involuntary indentured labourers, later purposely recruited farmers), these indigenous peoples lost territory and numbers in the face of punitive expeditions by British troops, land encroachment and the effects of various epidemic diseases. The Jangil and most of the Great Andamanese groups soon became extinct; presently there remain only approximately 400-450 indigenous Andamanese, the Jarawa and Sentinelese in particular maintaining a steadfast independence and refusing most attempts at contact.
The indigenous peoples of the Nicobars (unrelated to the Andamanese) have a similarly isolated and lengthy association with the islands. There are two main groups:
the Nicobarese, or Nicobari, living throughout many of the islands; and
the Shompen, restricted to the interior of Great Nicobar.
There are 572 islands in the territory, of which only approximately 38 are permanently inhabited. Most of the islands (about 550) are in the Andamans group, 26 of which are inhabited. The smaller Nicobars comprise some 22 main islands (10 inhabited). The Andamans and Nicobars are separated by a channel (the Ten Degree Channel) some 150 km wide.
The total area of the Andaman Islands is some 6,408 km2 (2,474 sq mi); that of the Nicobar Islands approximately 1,841 km2 (711 sq mi).
Country : India
Capital :Port Blair
Largest city :Port Blair
? Density 356,1521 (32)
? 43 /km2 (111 /sq mi)
Language(s) Nicobarese, Bengali, English, Hindi,Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu
Time zone IST (UTC+5:30)
Area 8,250 km2 (3,185 sq mi
Address of Official Tourist Site of Andaman:
For details on How to Reach Andaman : www.and.nic.in/C_charter/IP_T/reach.htm
- Pros:Heavenly place on Earth : No Pollution all Fresh air
This hotel is one of the better budget hotels of the island. Located just at the middle point of the city it bmakes the... more travel advice
I did not stay here but, I crossed this place many a times. The photographs taken from tourist bus. I did make enquiry... more travel advice
- See All Andaman Mementos: The best place to buy:
- See All Chidiya Tapu Beach
- See All Roads of Andaman & Nicobar Island
goutammitra's Related Pages
Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andaman & Nicober Island: A Paradise on Earth!!"
- "Andaman and Nicobar Islands"
- "Andaman Islands - Havelock"
- "THE PLACE THAT TIME (AND TOURISTS) FORGOT..."
- "EMERALD ISLANDS"
- "The Andaman Islands"
- "Paradise in Bay of Bengal..and... Indian Ocean..!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Hotels in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Transportation in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Restaurants in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Shopping in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- 41 Reviews
- 199 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- updated a Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travel Page "Andaman & Nicober Island: A Paradise on Earth!!"
- Posted in Travel State of Sikkim Forum "Re: Planning a trip to North..."
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands travel pages
- Wrote a Review Port Blair's Better Accomodation. in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Port Blair's Better Accomodation."
- Uploaded a Video to Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Photos in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar IslandsSee All Photos (199)
Videos in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar IslandsSee All Videos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 215 reviews, 1074 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues