"Bhaktapur is "the city of Devotees"." Top 5 Page for this destination Bhaktapur by goutammitra
Bhaktapur Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 339 photos
Bhaktapur is lying at 12 KM east of capital city Kathmandu. Bhaktapur is "the city of Devotees". It is locally known as "Khwopa and Bhadgaon" which is world renowned for its elegant art, fabulous culture , colourful festivals, traditional dances and indigenouslifestyle of different people of different religion. For its majestic monuments, temples and the native typical newar lifestyle best known for their long history of craftsmanship, the ancient city is also variously known as the " City of Culture ", "Living Heritage " , "Nepal's Cultural Gem " and "An open museum". Given such unequaled opulence in ancient art and culture, Bhaktapur is more like an open museum, and the ambiance here is such that it instantly transports visitors back by centuries. This conch shaped hostoric city is spreading over an area of 6.88 square KM at 1,401 meters above sea level, which was founded in the 12th century by King Anand Dev Malla.Bhaktapur was the capital city of the Greater Malla Kingdom till the 15th century AD. The many of Bhaktapur's greatest monuments were built by thethen Malla rulers.
The ancient ritual dances and festivals are still observed by the locals with the same fervour and ehthusiasm as their ancestors did centuries ago. King Yaksha Malla (15th ventury) heavily fortified this city. Bhaktapur has its gem in Durbar Square and Changu Narayan temple-- a World Heritage site listed by the UNESCO. Strewn with unique palaces, temples and monasteries best admired for their exquisite artworks in wood, metal and stone, the palatial enclave has bewitched pilgrims and travelers for centuries.Yet, they are not all though. Stretching all along the township, the panoramic Himalaya levitates in the skyline as if to keep vigilance on the city'senviable beauty and splendor.It grows from a collection of villages strung along the old trade route between India and Tibet.
The Bronze and Brass Museum is located at the famous Pujari Math area of downtown Bhaktapur. This museum is just... more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Bhaktapur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bhaktapur, Nepal's Best City"
- "Bhaktapur is "the city of Devotees"."
- "The third city of the Valley"
- "BHAKTAPUR - BAGDAON - KHWOPA"
- "Where the movie "Little Buddha" was made"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bhaktapur
- Hotels in Bhaktapur
- Transportation in Bhaktapur
- Restaurants in Bhaktapur
- Warnings and Dangers in Bhaktapur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bhaktapur
- 19 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Bhaktapur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bhaktapur
- Posted in Travel Mumbai Forum "Re: 5 hours in Mumbai Airport"
- Wrote a Review National Art Gallery- Bhaktapur 3 in Bhaktapur Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "National Art Gallery- Bhaktapur 3"
- updated a Bhaktapur Travel Page "Bhaktapur is "the city of Devotees"."
- Commented on one of Alphons's Bhaktapur travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 214 reviews, 1077 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues