"When Did you Last See Rainbow on Earth Like this!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara by goutammitra

Pokhara Travel Guide: 357 reviews and 886 photos

Pokhara is situated at about 827 meter from sea level, and is located 124 miles (about 200 km) west of Kathmandu and can be reached by plane in 35 minutes or in 5 hours by bus. Pokhara is the next destination after Kathmandu for many adventure and pleasure trips in and around Pokhara. Pokhara is often called the enchanting Himalayan valley with a heart of major actions and adventures.

We visited Pokhara on 11th September to 13th September, 2007. At first we were totally disappointed to see the bad weather, but seeing our plight God became merciful and he showed us little bit of mountains on the morning of 12th September and just for 13-15mts. Yes despite heavy monsoon rains we were able to see the Annapurna Range for a while. I was cursing myself for choosing the wrong season to visit Pokhara and Kathmandu( October to November is better and clear period), as we got only rains and clouds for the period of our stay. But we got really compensated by the natural beauty, flora & fauna of Pokhara Vally. We sall never forget the Rainbow seen at Devi's Fall, the Gorge at Seti River, The Greenery of Pokhra, The Friendly and helpful behaviour of our hotel owner Mr. Chabbi of Hotel Dharma Inn, the Pokhra locals and so on. We have captured all possible mood of Pokhara. It is for sure, I am going to visit Pokhra again, probably in 2008.
How to Go: Pokhara is easily accessible from Kathmandu, Birganj by Air. It takes about 35mts. By travelling Air you have the chance to see some of the mountain peaks. But we knew, that it is cloudy so travelling by air will be a waste. So, why not travel by Road and enjoy the greenery of the vally and the road travels across the mighty river Trishuli ( see pictures). We took the Toyota Micro bus service instead of Tourist Bus as we also wanted to mix with the locals ( who are excellent guide, better than our paid one), learn the language, their customs, markets, off the beaten paths etc.
We found the Nepalese local are extremely friendly, knowledgeable and always smiling. On our return we became friendly with a Nepalese family, who made us participate with their singing. And Lo .... we were able to capture several Nepalese Folk songs, Festival songs in our Video!!!! Do you think it was possible in Air Travel? We were just part of them for the time being, learnt their culture very closely. Please look for TEEJ Festival in my Kathmandu Page.
It is believed that Pokhara was the city of Mallas, the rulers of Nepal about 250 years ago. The Newar community of Kathmandu Valley migrated to Pokhara, built houses like those of Mallas, and started developing settlements which lead to the development of this city. Today, Pokhara is developed by tourism, import and export business of both domestic as well as foreign products to various towns and villages in Kaski and other districts of Nepal.

More details and pictures on Pokhara tips.

• Pros:Very Clean Fresh Air.
  • Cons:Monsoon is a poser.
  • Last visit to Pokhara: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2007

• Veriuska's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Ate at the Highway Restorant Gunadi. Very nice place!!

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Wow, those restaurants serve a lot of food there! And it looks delicious! Mmmmm!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Great page of Pokhara. I did not get to Pokhara as all internal flights were fully booked due to Diwali. Fortunately I did not take the bus there as there was massive landslides that cut off the land route.

• tenluk's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2009 at 2:08 AM

That is really beautiful rainbow. Thanks God

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2009 at 10:39 AM

very helpful page - one day I hope I get to use it to visit there myself!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 5:59 AM

Another informative page,Goutam. Pity about mist & (fog?) I would one day love to experience a monsoon. In Cherrapunji(wettest place I believe)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I hope to visit India & Nepal next year. great page ;-)

• bike_packer's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Rainbows are always magical to me! How's family life doing, Goutam? Been busy here lately on work and wrapping up the 4 children's final exams in school. April and May is travel time with the kids. Our best regards to Rakhi and Lady Munu! - boyet&mayet

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2007 at 9:46 AM

xclent tips once again. at the rate you are travelling i am sure Rakhee, Monu and you will show up in my neighbourhood - you will be most welcome :-)

• Cess8's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2007 at 5:08 AM

Great nepal stories :) what do you say to building Philippine pages next? (*wink*)

goutammitra

“Thanks Daniel & Giampiero for the Tee Shirt!”

Badges & Stats in Pokhara

Have you been to Pokhara?

Latest Activity in Pokhara