"When Did you Last See Rainbow on Earth Like this!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara by goutammitra
Pokhara Travel Guide: 380 reviews and 984 photos
Pokhara is situated at about 827 meter from sea level, and is located 124 miles (about 200 km) west of Kathmandu and can be reached by plane in 35 minutes or in 5 hours by bus. Pokhara is the next destination after Kathmandu for many adventure and pleasure trips in and around Pokhara. Pokhara is often called the enchanting Himalayan valley with a heart of major actions and adventures.
We visited Pokhara on 11th September to 13th September, 2007. At first we were totally disappointed to see the bad weather, but seeing our plight God became merciful and he showed us little bit of mountains on the morning of 12th September and just for 13-15mts. Yes despite heavy monsoon rains we were able to see the Annapurna Range for a while. I was cursing myself for choosing the wrong season to visit Pokhara and Kathmandu( October to November is better and clear period), as we got only rains and clouds for the period of our stay. But we got really compensated by the natural beauty, flora & fauna of Pokhara Vally. We sall never forget the Rainbow seen at Devi's Fall, the Gorge at Seti River, The Greenery of Pokhra, The Friendly and helpful behaviour of our hotel owner Mr. Chabbi of Hotel Dharma Inn, the Pokhra locals and so on. We have captured all possible mood of Pokhara. It is for sure, I am going to visit Pokhra again, probably in 2008.
How to Go: Pokhara is easily accessible from Kathmandu, Birganj by Air. It takes about 35mts. By travelling Air you have the chance to see some of the mountain peaks. But we knew, that it is cloudy so travelling by air will be a waste. So, why not travel by Road and enjoy the greenery of the vally and the road travels across the mighty river Trishuli ( see pictures). We took the Toyota Micro bus service instead of Tourist Bus as we also wanted to mix with the locals ( who are excellent guide, better than our paid one), learn the language, their customs, markets, off the beaten paths etc.
We found the Nepalese local are extremely friendly, knowledgeable and always smiling. On our return we became friendly with a Nepalese family, who made us participate with their singing. And Lo .... we were able to capture several Nepalese Folk songs, Festival songs in our Video!!!! Do you think it was possible in Air Travel? We were just part of them for the time being, learnt their culture very closely. Please look for TEEJ Festival in my Kathmandu Page.
It is believed that Pokhara was the city of Mallas, the rulers of Nepal about 250 years ago. The Newar community of Kathmandu Valley migrated to Pokhara, built houses like those of Mallas, and started developing settlements which lead to the development of this city. Today, Pokhara is developed by tourism, import and export business of both domestic as well as foreign products to various towns and villages in Kaski and other districts of Nepal.
More details and pictures on Pokhara tips.
- Pros:Very Clean Fresh Air.
- Cons:Monsoon is a poser.
What to do if it rains at the Lake front? No where to go, nothing to see just killing your time. Well this is exactly... more travel advice
This is a good idea! In most of the rural shops you get everything of your daily need. Right from Photo films, Camera,... more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Pokhara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pokhara - the best town in Nepal"
- "When Did you Last See Rainbow on Earth Like this!!"
- "Pokhara - once is not enough"
- ""Peaceful Pokhara!!""
- "Pokhara - Nepal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pokhara
- Hotels in Pokhara
- Transportation in Pokhara
- Nightlife in Pokhara
- Restaurants in Pokhara
- Shopping in Pokhara
- Warnings and Dangers in Pokhara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pokhara
- 19 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Pokhara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pokhara
- updated a Pokhara Travel Page "When Did you Last See Rainbow on Earth Like this!!"
- Posted in Travel State of Sikkim Forum "Re: Planning a trip to North..."
- Commented on one of earthflyer's Pokhara travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tea and Omelette in Pokhara Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tea and Omelette"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 215 reviews, 1074 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues