"Gadiara! Ganges, Rupnarayan & Damodar Meets here!" Bagnan by goutammitra
Bagnan Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 27 photos
Last Sunday we decided to visit Gadiara , a small place about 100kms drive from Kolkata city near Bagnan. It is also called Triveni as the three sacred river, the Ganges, Rupnarayan & Damodar meets here! This is also a very beautiful picnic spot in winter far from the crowd, dust, locality set amidst in the very nature with forest, river and peace!!
Well the place is not exactly at Baghnan but it is another 26Km drive from there. Baghnan is on the Calcutta - Bombay Expressway, it can be reached in an hours' time.
The village of Gadiara, which is the point of convergence of the Damodar, the Rupnarayan and the Hoogli rivers. Gadiara in the lap of nature is a popular spot with the localities as well as the tourists. Gadiara is one of the most beautiful and popular picnic spots in the district of Howrah. It is the meeting place of three rivers, Hooghly (Ganges), Rupnarayan and Damodar. It is hardly 90-100 km from Calcutta and there are frequent bus services both private and state-owned, from Calcutta. There is an old dilapidated fort, Fort Morn-ington, built by Lord Clive in Gadiara. The fort was heavily damaged during the devastating flood in 1942. There is a small lighthouse installed in Gadiara. Visitors can enjoy boating in the Rupnarayan river. Both sunrise and sunset in Gadiara are really worth seeing because of its vast waterfront resembling a sea. But, today, the calm and quietness of Gadiara is gradually disappearing and becoming congested. There are regular ferry services to the other side of the river i.e., to Geonkhali in Midnapore, to Nurpur in 24-Parganas.
- Pros:Very peaceful & calm.
- Cons:Bad road makes it difficult for weekend gateway.
Since Gadiara is a small place there are not many restaurants around. But The Restaurant at West Bengal Tourist Lodge is... more travel advice
Gadiara is famous for Sunrise and Sunset. See the next tip. more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Bagnan Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bagnan
- 5 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Bagnan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bagnan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 215 reviews, 1077 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues