"Fraserganj,Bakkhali another Gateway to Sunderban" Fraserganj by goutammitra
Fraserganj Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 104 photos
Last Friday- Sunday we visited Fraserganj/ Bakkhali beach near Kolkata city. It's about 140 Kms drive from Kolkata but reaching there need about 4-6 hrs as the condition of NH 117 is very bad and it's a single lane highway. ( It's not at all highway but govt has termed it as highway, the journey time could be reduced to 3 hrs!). Besides, the island is separated by Hatania - Doania river ( which is also International causeway), the river has to be crossed by LCT Ferry only which takes about ten mts but long cue of vehicles may delay it by hours. They also close for lunch at about 11.30 AM to 2.00 PM ( I dont' know what they have for lunch for more than two hours but it surely helps the hotels/ restaurants nearby to get the hungry tourists flocking for lunch. A sure shot marriage of convenience, no one can say anything as it's govt run Ferry and their day starts at 4 AM!).
A high bridge can save this situation as the International causeway has to be kept open to allow the barges, fishing trawlers and small ships between Burma, Bangladesh, Thailand can ply. Who knows whenthe high bridge will be built may be they are waiting for World Bank to help them.
Situated at the Southern most tip of West Bengal is basically a quite, cleaner, peaceful beach of Bengal with a touch of Sunderban forest. There is Sundari forest, Creeks , millions of red crabs, fishes, Mangrove forests, water bodies what not to make your stay memorable in forest and in beach all combined. The water here looks muddy but clean as the beach itself is shallow and white hard sand makes it look like muddy water! But it is very clean much cleaner than Digha and Shankarpur. The responsible citizen will keep it clean, plastic is a banned article in this beach so is hazardous materials.
We really enjoyed at this place during our two night and three days stay.
- Pros:No polluting air, no polluting ehicles around all fresh air!
- Cons:Bad road makes it difficult to reach there.
As I have mentioned in my earlier tips that the place Bakkhali lacks proper touristy hotels with professional service.... more travel advice
Those who know about Sunderbans sure know about the life there. The people live there in great hardhip and extreme... more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Fraserganj Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Fraserganj
- Hotels in Fraserganj
- Transportation in Fraserganj
- Restaurants in Fraserganj
- Shopping in Fraserganj
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fraserganj
- 22 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Fraserganj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fraserganj
Photos in FraserganjSee All Photos (104)
Videos in FraserganjSee All Videos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 215 reviews, 1077 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues