Darjeeling Tourist Trap Tips by goutammitra Top 5 Page for this destination
Darjeeling Tourist Traps: 2 reviews and 0 photos
We had a very bad experience once we landed at Darjeeling. These days the jeeps take you to lower Bazar or Lal Bazar from there you will have to climb up to Mall or near to your hotel. You also need to take the help of a local Pittu ( Coolie) as climbing is not easy for the plain landers with luggage. Here you will be surrounded by many hooligan type local youths who have been empowered by GJM or GNLF bosses to collect money from you as commission for searching a room for you! They take money both way from hotel also. Thus your hotel rate increases.
We had booked our hotel Seven 17 from Siliguri over phone and had a confirmed booking, but the hooligans demanded if I was carrying any hotel booking papers, I was n't as the booking was done over phone. One boy forcibly escorted me up to the hotel and demanded one days' rent from the hotel ! In 2000 it was Rs.500/- a day! After lot of haggling he left with Rs.200/- from the hotel and Rs100/- from me as fee for searching me a room! This was pure hooliganism. After that the hotel did not allow me any discount for my 7 night's stay as they said they will have to pay 10% of my room rent to the volunteers of GLNF everyday! That was the peace buying process for the hotel.
What you can do: These days you can book any good hotel in Darjeeling over net. Keep the printout of the booking slip ready in case you face the same trouble as I did. Just show them as you have confirmed booking.
Ask the hotel to send a car pick up or their man to the bus/ taxi stand to escort you. In 2000 it was not possible to make calls by cell phone for help. It was also not possible to take the help from Police as he was not harassing me but demanded money to get me a room! Well done!
GJM: The latest power: Gorkha Janmukti Morcha.
GNLF: Gorkha National Liberation Front ( They are not in power any more)
More Reviews (20)
goutammitra's Related Pages
Darjeeling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "darjeeling-queen of hills"
- "West Bengal's own Hill station !!!!"
- "Toy Train, Tiger Hill & Darjeeling Tea! What Else!"
- "Darjeeling, tea and a lot more....."
- "The Unmatched Queen of Hill Stations"
- "A Little Piece of Heaven in India"
- "Tea Gardens and Good people!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Darjeeling
- Hotels in Darjeeling
- Transportation in Darjeeling
- Nightlife in Darjeeling
- Restaurants in Darjeeling
- Shopping in Darjeeling
- Warnings and Dangers in Darjeeling
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Darjeeling
- 21 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Darjeeling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Darjeeling
- updated a Darjeeling Travel Page "Toy Train, Tiger Hill & Darjeeling Tea! What Else!"
- Posted in Travel State of Sikkim Forum "Re: Planning a trip to North..."
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Darjeeling travel pages
- Wrote a Review Good Clean Accommodation in Darjeeling Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Himalayan Mountain Railway"
Photos in DarjeelingSee All Photos (84)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 215 reviews, 1074 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues