"BAKKHALI SEA BEACH- WEEKEND GATEWAY." Diamond Harbour by goutammitra
Diamond Harbour Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 64 photos
We went to Bakkhali Sea beach November last year, the only Sea Beach nearby Kolkata city. It is 132 Kms from Kolkata has motorable road and many middle class hotels. It is good for spending weekends. It is situated on the mouth of the Ganges on Bay of Bengal. Its quite relaxing place for weekend.
The other beach near Kolkata city is Digha ,but it is always very crowded. Tagore used to spend his time here and have created many of his masterpieces sitting here in Bakkhali. This place used to be very popular among the educated Bengali in the 19th and 20th century after Puri. But with the invent of modern transportation the distance between Calcutta city and Puri have become about few hours.
In Bakkhali you dont' get to see the real sea but since it is on the mouth of the Ganges, the beach is made of Hard soil instead of sand. It is unique in nature, with casuarina forest and lesser crowd it still gives that rustic feeling. A very popular place among the newly marrieds.
WE SPENT TWO DAYS AFTER DIWALI . IT WAS VERY RELAXING, NO MOBILE CALLS, AMPLE SUPPLY OF PRAWNS, PLENTY OF FRESH AIR IN PLACE OF THE HIGHLY POLLUTED AIR OF KOLKATA. WHAT ELSE ONE CAN WANT?
- Pros:A BEAUTIFUL WEEKEND GATEWAY.
- Cons:BAD ROAD MAKES DRIVING TIRING.
Ffort Radisson has Four Restaurants but the people prefer to sit in Citadel I & II. Both are Multicusine Restaurants.... more travel advice
The Diamond harbour Fort was built sometimes in 16th Century on the bank of the Holy River Ganges, most probably by the... more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Diamond Harbour Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Diamond Harbour
- Hotels in Diamond Harbour
- Restaurants in Diamond Harbour
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Diamond Harbour
- 8 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Diamond Harbour?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Diamond Harbour
- Posted in Travel Bangkok Forum "Re: Bangkok ferry to Ayuttaya and..."
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Diamond Harbour travel pages
- updated a Diamond Harbour Travel Page "BAKKHALI SEA BEACH- WEEKEND GATEWAY."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bakkhali's Better Hotels"
- Uploaded a Video to Diamond Harbour
- Wrote a Review The Best of Diamond Harbour! in Diamond Harbour Restaurants
Videos in Diamond HarbourSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 215 reviews, 1077 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues