" Digha-Mandarmani Kolkata's Weekend gateway" Digha by goutammitra
Digha Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 206 photos
I visited this place last weekend, in the last 10-12 years Mandarmani has come up as new tourist destination as Digha was getting more and more crowded. Mandarmani is basically a fishing beach with hard sand for about 4 miles( 6kms), with no electricity and proper road like Digha. The beach is also not suitable for sea bathing as it is very shallow and you can walk up to 1 km inside the sea in knee deep water during low tide. But the beauty of this place, it is very very secluded and almost a virgin one. Situated about 190 kms from Kolkata with good motorable road, on the same road as Digha. After you reach Chaul Khola ( 25kms before Digha) you take left turn and drive for 12.5 kms and you are there. When it was discovered several years back the local farmers sold their land at a premium to the developers and resort owners , who in turn constructed excellent resorts with much better facilities than Digha and New Digha with all modern aminities. Since, there is no power supply by the state govt they have installed soundless power generators to run the hotel, without disturbing theeco- atmosphere. Some of them have generators with capacity of 300-400kva to run the air conditioners. All these facilities led to huge tourist influx from Kolkata to this place, who wanted to be away from crowd and noise. I love this place as this is my kind of place, with no honking of horns and pollution free.
This is also an ideal place for honeymooners as the resorts offer total seclution from the maddening noise and crowd. Most of the resorts built here ( see picture) are eco- friendly with out any concrete roofs. All the roofs are made of straw, wood and bamboos. I also like this idea of getting up at sun rise with the sound of birds chirping and singing. Besides you have no buses and taxis taking you to the beach but you need to drive on the beach for 4-6 kms to reach your hotel.( I am putting most of the pictures in travelogue & hotel reviews)
Now there are about 100 hotels and beach resorts available there to accomodate tourists of all budgets right from Rs600 ( USD$12) to Rs6000 ( USD$ 120) per day. I came across some European tourists there who sait it was great to stay there during weekend!
I recommend this place strongly as weekend gateway from Kolkata!
Last weekend we made a trip to Digha, West Bengals' only genuine Sea Beach. It is on the Bay of Bengal and the water is not clear Blue. But despite the fact the Bengalis throng there throughout the year, during the week and weekends. Theclear blue sea is available from Orissa sea coast, and the nearest place with all facilities is far away at Puri. Since, the Bengali and the Calcutta crowd love to travel and relax, they have made this ordinary place also a tourist destination. Now any time of the year this place is full with people from Calcutta and different patrs of Bengal. More than 500 hotels , guests houses have come up in all size and budget to accomodate the crowd. Today it is bustling with people from all economic zones of the society. Many come several times in a year and the travel hungry Bengali have made this place immortal and famous. With Digha, many new beaches have emerged nearby like , New Digha, Shankarpur, Udaypur, Mandarmani and Talsari. Sine Digha is highly crowded they other places have become heaven for honeymooners and those who want to avoid the crowd. All these places have excellent accomodation and food facility to suit your budget.
We too decided to utilize this part of summer vaccation for the kids. We started on Friday afternoon from Kolkata and reached Digha in the evening. It is exactly 200Kms fro Kolkata. Some part of the road is on the express highway( They are real fast see photo) and rest ( most of the way) is having good motorable road. One can reach Digha in about 4 hours time. Getting hotel is no problem as Digha has many hotels to suit your budgets. We decided to stay at Orissa Tourism Development Corpn, Pantha Nivas at Talsari, Chandaneshwar. This place is about 13KMs from Digha. But the road from Digha to Talsari is in very bad condition. Govt.of Orissa need to do something about this road.
We drove in two cars with my friend Debasish Bhadra his wife and son, His brother and his, wife and son. In all we were six adults and three kids. We had real un-adultrated fun and relaxed a lot. The kids were happy too. Despite the temperature soring over 39-41 degrees and humidity 100% the kids had real fun. And exactly that is our real gain despite all these hardship.
- Pros:Beautiful Relaxing Place
- Cons:Too crowded.
- In a nutshell:Nice place to enjoy & relax.
Thousands of small red crabs crawl around the 13 km long virgin beach making it look like a simmering field of the red... more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Digha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " Digha-Mandarmani Kolkata's Weekend gateway"
- "Digha !!"
- "Digha A sea beach near home"
- "At Mandarmani beach"
- "March-ing to Digha"
- "Digha on Sea"
- "Digha - The Most Popular Sea Beach Of West Bengal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Digha
- Hotels in Digha
- Transportation in Digha
- Nightlife in Digha
- Restaurants in Digha
- Shopping in Digha
- Warnings and Dangers in Digha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Digha
- 23 Reviews
- 125 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Digha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Digha
- Posted in Travel State of Sikkim Forum "Re: Planning a trip to North..."
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Digha tips
- Wrote a Review Visit To Fishing Harbour of Digha in Digha Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit To Fishing Harbour of Digha"
- created a Digha Travelogue "In the Land of Red Crabs."
- Uploaded a Video to Digha
Videos in DighaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 215 reviews, 1074 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues